CD drive problem

Davy Holt

Could be down to drive 'buffering':

(Have you tried 'refresh' from the 'Windows Explorer' 'View' menu?)

To turn off CD 'buffering':

In Windows explorer or My computer

Right click on the CD drive and view its 'properties',

Turn 'quickfinder' off if its on.

(normal search)

While looking at the drive properties note any tabs such as InCD or any other 'drive loader' or 'speeder up' type software.

Also 'eject' the drive from the 'right click' menu and use the drive 'eject' button to close the drive rather than just pushing it in.

Then again using the 'right click' menu select 'Drive infomation' and see if it gets the data type from the CD.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

it seems to be Explorer that's the problem, I tried the eject with the right click.. no response. Using the menu it dont show any drive information, with a music CD,the CD drive says it ain't got a disk in it where as the CD burner says there is a disk with the file type RAW and no bytes.

I think it's safe to say it aint a problem with the drives but with Explorer in XP .. looks like it's time to wipe the drive and start again

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy have a floow of this lot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641

I would remove the drive in 'System' 'Device manager', shut down.

Remove the ribbon cable from the CD drive.

Turn on.

make sure no error for the CD shows in 'System' 'Device manager', shut down.

Put ribbon cable back on CD drive.

Turn on, XP should find drive & do it's stuff.

Restart PC and hopefully all will be ok.

All WXX PC's seem to suffer from this trait - if something if buggering up - remove it & reinstall it with a good clean 'boot' in the middle & it's fixed! (known in the trade as 'gatesware' - it works fine most of the time & only fcuks up when you most need it).

Hmm leads me to an old joke!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Tog,

done that and got a result.. not the one I wanted though.. now I cant read the disk's even in Nero :(

:D:D:D

Gobio... I think your right

Davy

Hiya,

had another last ditch attempt tonight...

Fitted a new ribbon, just in case, then tested the drives one at a time with a boot-able CD.. both worked.

Next step went the Microsoft link you gave togg and had a read. Went in to properties and had a look.. everything was set as advised.. so I changed it :) re booted and then changed it back and re booted again :)

Hey presto.. I now have the Burner working 100% at the moment (probably pack in after I type this ). The CD drive however is still not wanting to play.. but hey one out of two ain't bad :):)

So at least I can back up all my stuff before wiping the drive now :D:D

Davy