using cooked prwan as bait

butiaboy

I am thinking of using some cooked prawn (peeled) as bait from the local fishmongers how do you put these on the hook

my favourite fishing spot

2008_0801craig0051.jpg

chesterfield canal chesterfield

Stick the pointy (sharp) end of the hook through the prawn. Or failing that if you're a hair rigging kind of chap, then hair rig them.

Guest tigger
rofl jeepster

try dying the prawns different colours, the carp on a pond I fish are particularly fond of bright red ones ;D

Do you hook the bright red ones on the same as the others :wacko:

Stick the pointy (sharp) end of the hook through the prawn

Well, I'd never have thought of that if you hadn't told me.....I love the way that AN comes up with such innovative ideas!

Personally I'd keep the prawns for myself, served on a salad sandwich with a dash of garlic mayonnaise and a sprinkling of freshly chopped coriander.

Janet

I have been using Peeled Prawns with great success when after big Chub since the mid 70s. In those days they were not generally used apart from by Salmon anglers who used them complete with their shells on.

The diagram below shows the way I have always hooked them. (although I don't use bait bands) I make two loops of line to hold the tail in the position shown; the loops just staighten out without putting any kinks in the line while playing the fish.

Takes can be vicious and decisive if they have not been used much on the water before.

PrawnMount.gif

Don't buy the cheap washed out anaemic ones; pay a little bit more for the nice tasty coloured ones which leak a much better flavour; you'll get a lot more takes.

Good Luck.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have been using Peeled Prawns with great success when after big Chub since the mid 70s. In those days they were not generally used apart from by Salmon anglers who used them complete with their shells on.

The diagram below shows the way I have always hooked them. (although I don't use bait bands) I make two loops of line to hold the tail in the position showed but the loops just staighten out without putting any kinks in the line.

Takes can be vicious and decisive if they have not been used much on the water before.

PrawnMount.gif

Don't buy the cheap washed out anaemic ones; pay a little bit more for the nice tasty coloured ones which leak a much better flavour; you'll get a lot more takes.

Good Luck.

BB, did you find that prawns picked out the bigger fish?

Parwns might be a very good bait in waters with crayfish...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

BB, did you find that prawns picked out the bigger fish?

Prawns might be a very good bait in waters with crayfish...

They do seem to attract the slightly larger Chub. in fact I think I had four out of my five largest Chub using Peeled Prawns; a 6 pounder from the Kennet at Newbury and two fives from the Lea at Kings Weir and a five pounder from the Stour at Throop (not big by some anglers standards but big by mine :) ). plus a few 4's. I also catch a fair amount of smaller chub around the 2lb mark with them

I have friends who swear by them for Tench but I have never caught a Tench on them yet.

I remember once when I was driving past Dobbs Wier on the Lea at Broxbourne on a really hot day; I had my rod and a bag of prawns on me and thought I would give them a go; there were no swims available and it was one of those days when everyone was just sitting there in the hot sun with no-one catching much at all.

I waded out in between two swims and dropped a prawn close in against the remains of a sunken barge and within seconds had a 3lb Chub followed by 3 or 4 others in quick succession. the anglers on both sides of me wandered up and said "I bet you fish this place a lot don't you?" but it was only the second time I had fished it and I ended up sharing my prawns amongst them and they too started catching chub.

It obviously is'nt always like that but it does show how good they can be if the Chub havent seen them much.

I don't do as much Chubbing as I used to as I am usually chasing Barbel or Tench these days using other baits but If I went Chubbing I would definately take a bag of peeled prawns with me especially if the chub havent seen them that much.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)