Freshawater fishing locations

Murph

I have made contact with a number of fisheries to see if I can use a kayak to fish on their waters. Most draw a blank with the exception of Ireland. Wondering do any members of the forum who might fish freshwater, know any waters that might give access (either trout or pike on fly)

Many thanks for any advice

Murph

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried it Speciman. No go. Same with Kielder and a host of others. You can take your kayak on some waters but you can't fish from it

Most of the main waters in the Lake District - Coniston, Ullswater, Buttermere, Winderememre I know you can launch a kayak without restriction and fish from it. Oh, and Derwent Water.

I think some of the bigger Scottish lochs - Loch Lomond, Awe, Tay, Earn. Loch Ken has a marina - powered vessels have to be registered but not others from what I can gather - good pike, poor trout but a few big ones. Well known for its pike fishing - a good spot for fly fishing for pike too. In Staffordshire Rudyard lake is open for putting your kayak on for fishing - pike but no trout, you just buy a ticket form the machine in the car park £3 per day to play on your kayak.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks Simon. That's useful info and much appreciated.

I assume using an electric outboard will mean that the yak is classed as powered? Will check this out with the venues.

Regards

Murph :)

You don't need an electric motor - what is the point in the kayak?

Seriuosly, or even seriously, the pike are just around the 18' contour - same in most waters, so you are actually paddling quite close in and the motor is just dead weight and really unecessary on these forays.

The beauty of the kayak is in its stealth - so just paddle in very quietly and fish away. That is where you will find the benefit in a proper kayak. Once you're backover here I'll come up and have a go on loch Ken with you - not big pike but plenty of them. June onwards is prime, early spring difficult as they disappear into the shallows to spawn and are best left alone to get on with it.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

The Thames? Or any large river that allows boats? You could sneak into some great places - wier pools, backwaters, shallows etc.

Ireland would be great though.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk