Freshawater fishing locations

Murph

I thought I'd seen something about the lakes here, LOL

I'm going away next Tuesday if all goes well to the lakes, camping & if my roofbars come on Tueday I'm taking the yak with me seeing as I've got a licence now :)

Does anyone know of any good sites to camp at where I can jump in the kayak & go fishing ?

I might be going to Ullswater so Pooley Bridge might be ok but do I need a sperate licence for Ullswater & is spinning allowed and is it worth trying ?

I'll poke around & see what I can find myself too as well as the link above :)

thanks Olly

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy,

There's a campsite on Coniston that I go to every year that's ideal for launching your kayak.

It's at Hoathwaite farm at Torver, It doesn't have any toilet or shower facilities so you'll have to take your own but it's very cheap and you can camp within yards of the lake and there's good pike and perch fishing with a chance of trout and char.

All you need is a rod licence.

I had a big double figure pike last year on deadbait as well as loads of perch on the fly and floatfished maggot and some nice sized eels on legered worm. Although the last few years have been a bit slow for the trout and char i used to get a few off the boat by fishing a maggot feeder at anchor. If you are planning on anchoring to fish you'll need a minimum of 200 ft of rope as the lake is 180 ft deep in places. I fish it in July when the trout tend to be in the deeper water but from what i can gather they will be much shallower at this time of year.

Hope this helps,

nifty.

Cheers lads! Iam thinking of going to Coniston Hall Campsite which is also right on the edge of the lake and I've got a rod licence now so thats ok :)

I have neglegted to mention my two kids who are 7 & 5 and NEED a playpark, LOL it's no good if I'm off all day paddling about while the kids are giving the wife what for :rolleyes:

I wont be anchoring and think I'll just be spinning so far ?

I leave tomorrow afternoon so wish me luck :)

Fishyak - you are right. Should just go and do it. But not me - I wrote and asked and guess what?

Olly - Forget Esthwaite for starters. I wrote and asked and was told that float tubes and your own boat were acceptable but not kayaks!!. What's this mindset in England about kayaks to fish?I just don't get it. Sure we are in age of litigation and safety seems to be a concern but if you can use a float tube or your own boat, why not a kayak. Are kayak users water borne lager louts or what :(

Murph

Guest Flybynight

Murph,

Who did you write to? Did they really have the authority to say something so ignorant? I used a kayak on Esthwaite as a kid, and fished from it a bit. We only got into trouble when we went down the river at the south end, into a small loch there and started fishing. Some very angry bloke came steaming down the hill shouting at us...we were about 10 at the time so it scared us and we moved on.

I'd always thought of going back though...if you find out more, let us know.

Cheers

FBN

• 2 weeks later...

Murph,

I've just thought about some other locations for you to use your Kayak in the fresh - Coniston has been mentioned, but what about Kielder Water?

OR Tal-y-Llyn is a good trouit water in Wales. Tom Rowlands will happily let you use the kayak as a float tube - he lets float tubes on.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon,

No I have tried Kielder. They told me that I can take my kayak on the water but can't fish from it.

Regards

Murph