Pollack that swallow

FearTheHands

Guest gus angus

try circle streamer hooks from uk hooks they are a hy-brid hook between circle hooks and aberdeens they allow you to put soft lures like jelly worms on but have the lip hooking attributes of the circle hook and because you should not strike with a circle hook just wind down, they are ideal for wreck fishing and drifting rough ground.

Sorry sensai!

GRASSHOPPER

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

quote:

The finger under the gill cover sounds barbaric but it is the kindest and easiest way.
watch it on big ones...underneath the gill flap, the gill cage has "teeth"...i lacerated my finger when it got trapped in one of these...i dont know if it was the fish's last movement that did it or my kack handed handling, i'm just not going to stick my fingers in the gills again

I pretty much agree with everything said above, especially the gill technique, including the cuts it gives you! Unfortunately Pollack seem to gut hook themselves more often than everything else. They also take baits as big as themselves which is a real pain as you can't 'use a big bait to keep the tiddlers off'. Personally I cut the line if they're gut hooked especially if they're undersized and I can't get my fingers or forceps through the gills. Sizeable fish are never a problem as they get eaten or given to the local animal shelter.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I guess it's a matter of practise. I along side my other two skippers will probably remove 20-30 fish each a day through the Gill cover and never have a problem.

We find that the good anglers tend to gut hook less fish than the average dangler as they are more in contention with the business end.

Just for interest. Inshore Pollack are territorial and will return to the same marks year after year. We have caught one easily identifiable fish 5 times over a three year period within a 10 yards radius. If you kill a big inshore Pollack, It's place will not be filled next year by another big fish, so if you do kill Pollack you are spoiling your own and others sport.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

just out of interest what do people use for bait/lure, because although we usually keep all the fish we catch (theyre large and brought up from the deep) i cant remember having too much of a deephooking problem...perhaps 1 or 2 a wreck tops.