Rope Cleat

Newt

Hi Steve,

Emperor's New Clothes it is then...two pictures of gripper cleats from where I'm looking. The only thing I can think it might be is that I named the images 1.jpg and 2.jpg...which is a bit obvious and probably well used...so maybe there is an image of a car that has the same name on the upload site?

Anyhow is the car any good!?...would I be proud to own it???...or should I stick with my VW camper!?! :D

I'll change the names on the images and upload them again just for you Steve...and any others out there who can't see my shiny new clothes, sorry I mean cleats :D

Back in a bit, Art :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art - those look exactly like the ones I have on my old (and much lighter) boat. Should be perfect for a yak.

They should be availabel in two sizes to best fit the diameter of anchor line you are using.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

yes, I think they are available in a bigger size too. These handle ropes up to 3/8". My anchor warp and pulley system are made of 6mm or 1/4" which is plenty strong enough and is just right for these cleats.

Hopefully I show them fitted later today, depending on how busy things get!

All the Best, Art :)

Speciman, I've just bought a couple of Micro Cleats, mine were only £10.50, so shop around a little, Marine Super Store is where I found mine, they also do a set the same size for around £30.

I'm going to wait and see how well Art's works before setting up the anchor on my Caper, I'm up there in a couple of weeks. I've got a Scotty Anchor Fitting that I will use until then. :)

SM:)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Sorry there Speciman...I missed your little post about the micro cleat!

Yes, all cleats have a use. The reason I'm using the gripper cleat here is for the anchor pulley line. This locks the line in one simple device and stops it moving in 'both' directions. Most micro cleats and cam cleats only lock the line off in one direction. This would be no use for me as I like to be able to position the anchor pulley at whatever point I like which may mean a 3/4 position fore and aft. In this position the anchor pulley tends to occasionaly pull one direction and then bounce the other, hence the need for a two-way lock.

You could of course use two cam cleats or micro cleats, one facing one way and one the other...I've got too many holes in the yak already though...so the fewer cleats the better! :D

I actually use the K Cam cleat from Barton (much like your cam cleats shown on the link) for locking off my anchor warp (obviously that only pulls one way!) It then runs from that to my pulley system, which has a quick release in case I need to dump the anchor fast and leave the winder and buoy floating.

All sounds way more complicated than it is, but it's fun getting it right for what you want!

Cheers for now, Art :)

Thanks Art.

It would be great if you post some pics up when you're done showing the anchor pulley system. I have to set one up on my yak.

I will also keep an eye out for a small anchor buoy I need one of these!

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi all.

Glad to see some of you getting to grips with the Anchor Pully System.

May be of interest to you all,on my system, I have made up a Bungee Buffer cord, that clips to my Anchor tie off point.

The advantage of adding the buffer, is it takes any snatch out of the anchor rope when conditions are choppy, so aiding the anchors hold, and more importantly, stopping any repeated torque on the pully fixings.

I have also applied the same idea to my bow, and stern ropes.

Again, it helps to stop any snatch on the fixings.

Hope this helps.

Yakity. :)

Personally, I like a bit of snatch, but as I am getting older I find it harder to come by :D

To stop my outhaul creeping I just tie a bight of anchor line around it - two jobs in one, it ties off the anchor and stops the creep on the haul. I am not fitting any cleats on the side because it is something else for the fly line to tangle around - this weekend it was mostly my trouser leg - too much thinking about snatch!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo