catching your own bait

Hungry Fisherman

hi guys i was thinking is it possible to go kayaking with out bait as sutch with the intent of catching ya own mackerel for starters and sandeel

im interested in how i can stock up on sand eel from a yak for bait as im fairly confident i know how to get mackerel

what other baits can i catch on a yak

ok this is a rumour but i heard you can use a lobster pot as an anchor if you intend to stay still all day with a lil common sense ya should avoid tangling on it and maybe catch a lobster :D

any way advice on bait collecting on a yak will be welcome

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can that be done on a kayak? thought maybe itll be like mackerel feathers just smaller at a guess lol i dunno if ya fish close to the beach or far out or anything for sandeels etc

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

HF - you will find sandeels - the greater Sandeel, also known as launce, on offshore banks, but in quite deep water.

The best mackerel jigs we have found tobe the smaller, size 6, mini shrimp types. The mackerel throw themselves at the small ones, and yet a rod fishign alongsoide with the bigger ones, identical, just get little nips but catch very few.

What are you wanting to go for with this bait?

Most things will eat mackerel strip - or at least so many different fish will that it is about the best all-round. You are better off with fresh mackerel than frozen, but frozen is still very good for bigger fish. At this time of year there are so many mackerel about that if you get clear of your launch site and then let your mackerel team down and paddle out to your mark gently you will catch your bait on the way.

I tried off NW Anglesey this weekend - looking for tope again! I had 15 mackerel in 3 drops so that was my bait for the day sorted in about 5 minutes!

What you do need though is a plastic bait cutting board and a good filleting knife - the Rapala one for about £6 is perfectly good, just ensure you wash it in fresh water, along with everything else each evening - even if you are going out again the next day.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon - is it worth going with a very realistic shrimp like This one and is a 4" shrimp too large?

Maybe This One or even a multi-hook rig like This?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi HF,

No probably not, but I have seen guys in the SW using "beach seines". One guy rows out from the beach in a semicircle shooting the net from the stern, his mate holding the other end on the beach.

Guy in the boat then comes in and they then both haul. Seen them doing it in really small dinghies..8ft. Seem to get a lot of sandeels.

Could be worthwhile if there's a bunch of you fishing..not sure about the legalities of it tho' best to check with the regional authorities.

Contrary to popular opinion you do need a license from the EA to seine sandeels - it costs, nothing!

However, most seiners dont have a sandeel license - and it doesn't appear to get enforced. However, how many eels do you need? One seine could have several thousand sandeels in it. I have often wondered about a cast net though - that would be plenty good enough to get you a few dozen sandeels for your own bait and has the advantage of taking up virtually no room - a 5' net would be big enough.

Looked at Church Bay on the way home - better launch site next one back towards the big port - not giving away any secrets on here.

No, I was at Treaddur - got one good run, but no hook up. Loads of doggies, a cod and a few whiting. There was a 76lb tope caught off Maen Piscar a couple of weeks ago - so I am going back weekend of the 19th Aug.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon Everett:

I have often wondered about a cast net though - that would be plenty good enough to get you a few dozen sandeels for your own bait and has the advantage of taking up virtually no room - a 5' net would be big enough.

Simon - I love using a cast net but only when standing up. Is it possible to comfortably use one sitting in a yak or is a yak stable enough for you to stand and cast?
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President