catching your own bait

Hungry Fisherman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im guessing its one of those circular net weighted on the outside that you toss out making it open before hitting the water then it sinks trapping what ever may e swimming about under it then ya tug on a cord length making it close like a sack then ya drag it in thats just a guess probs aint that lol would like a linky for one :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

HF - that is exactly what a cast net is - but as Newt has so valiantly pointed out, you have to be able to throw it (cast it) and this is better achieved from standing up!! So, it wouldn't work from the yak - but a steep to beach or off a rocky point it would. Better off a dinghy though. You see, I forget that others don't have access to a boat too!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Cast net - pictures of doing it right and a toss that ain't gonna work so pretty good.

an-cast-net.jpg

You hold a lanyard and after the (hopefully expanded) net sinks to the depth you want, you draw it back. The bottom closes when you start pulling it in.

The are great for catching bait and selective since you can easily release, unharmed, what you don't want to keep.

I use mine off the bow of the boat to catch shad for live or dead bait and on occasion, from shore.

In addition to being a great way to catch bait, the nets are fun to use and you never really know what you'll be pulling in.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

looking at it it can be done in ayak just need to develop a technique like paddling :D

as you can get enuff energy into the throw by rotating ya torso etc

i want one now where can i get one here in the uk :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

I'm not sure there is a UK source for them. Shame too since the lead weights around the bottom make shipping a tad expensive. OTOH, they last just this side of forever.

Three places I know of that sell them and that will ship to the UK are

www.basspro.com

www.cabelas.com

www.memphisnet.net

If you get one, put in in a solution of fabric softner for 24 hours before using it. Make the solution about double the strength you would use for washing clothes.

I'd also strongly suggest one of these (BassPro has them for $10). They make casting a net quite a bit easier and from a yak, should be a huge help.

an-net-master.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

If you get a nylon one (as opposed to mono) it should last you for at least 20 years so figuring the cost that way makes it less painful. Sort of.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely it's a hat with a candle holder so that you can catch bait at night :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com