launching

Glasgowdan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and as if by magic here I am :)

Hiya Fodder, the scupper hole size to pipe size is fairly important in my book. Having the pipework as close to the scupper size as possible spreads the torsional load which is applied when the wheels jam against a rock or just ride over uneven ground. This twisting force is soaked up beautifully by the larger bore pipe as show on the Anglersafloat website, without any reinforcement at all. The smaller bore pipes tend to slop about too much in the malibu scuppers and apply excess pressure to the internal edges of the scupper holes...which can't be a good thing considering the upper and lower mouldings are joined here.

I did use the slightly smaller bore push fit pipes on my last design...which worked well...but no where near as well as this design. In fact this design is so strong, Karen and I had both our Malibu IIs piggy back style and all our kit on top (must have been approaching 200lb) and wheeled it through the local harbour car park to launch no trouble. (I wouldn't advise doing that over rough ground though!)

Anyhow if you need any advice with your build whatever route and pipe you choose, let me know.

All the Best, Tightlines, Art :)

Hi Fodder,

yes, I just used pipe and t pieces as listed on the AA website. You have to be careful with the Ts as they are not 90 degrees they are 87 or something daft you just have to pay attenttion to the orientation when setting up. I designed mine to use the angles to taper inward fractionally. This means that as the yak drops down over the two risers it gets tighter. As far as reinforcement goes it's completely unecessary with this bore of pipe and the short lengths used. Osmaweld glue fit stuff really is that strong. It costs a few quid more than some of the other pipes but is well worth it. The osmaweld adhesive appears to almost melt the plastic hence the name Osma'weld' I guess. On this point is worth mentioning be sure to do a 'Dry Fit' first to test your measurements, it is tricky getting the right width appart for those uprights! Once you've glued it together, nothing will get it appart...It will break before the joint gives way!

As far as the axle is concerned I used M12 threaded shaft for mine and cut it to length. This passes through blanking plugs/end caps at either end (obviously I drilled holes in these to allow the shaft to travel through.) However I did add a couple of extras here: You'll have to see what you can find at the merchants, but Travis Perkins had a good range of all the parts plus some rubber parts that look like scupper bungs with a hole through the middle. The moment I saw these I though they would be a nice addition to the design used in side the bottom pipe with the shaft passing through them to try and reduce shaft flex. This is not necessary if you are using a 12 mm solid shaft or above...but as I was only able to get threaded shaft to fit my wheels I've got a risk of flex built in. Anyhow I used four of these bungs, two in the middle quarter pushed in with the aid of some washing up liquid. and two near the end caps. Further to this I used some of that white 15mm plastic central heating pipe which I cut into suitable length to space the wheels and then sliced length ways. This was then used as a sleeve over the threaded shaft where it passes though the end caps to prevent wear on the end caps.

Anyhow it all sounds much more complicated than it is. Drop me an email if I've confused matters and I'll draw an exploded diagram of the parts and how I've used 'em.

Remember that mine is just one of numerous methods out there, and you might actually see something better to use at the merchants! All I can say is that I'm chuffed to bits with my latest effort. It's light, mentally strong and compact enough to not be a problem.

Best of luck for now and as I say email me if you're stuck and I'll take a closer look at what I've made!

Tightlines, Art :)

Has anyone else noticed the google ads at the top of this topic, it's changed to plastic pipe fittings :D how clever are those guys at google.

Wish I had some shares. :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Kiyakker, nice set of wheels!

Arty, thanks...yes you explanation did fry my brain a little, but I think I've followed it!

I'll let you know how I get on once I have the yak so I can measure the pieces correctly.

Starvin, what google ads?

[ 27. August 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Fodder ]

Starvin's talking about the three links at the top of the page highlighted in blue...one of them is currently Durapipe!...very clever...bottom right of the enclosing box it says they are 'ads by google'

Never noticed them change like that before...we're being watched you know!!!! :D

Anyway best of luck fodder, like I said I'll do you a picture or two if you get stuck...a picture paints a thousand words and all that :)

email me if I haven't responded (I get text message notification then)

All the best, Art :)

PS...is it just me or is anyone else dreaming of how to catch more species than just the boogers you normally catch!!!??? :D