launching

Glasgowdan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll need to buy or make yourself a trolley, the only other alternative is to get the wife to carry it :D

Try here for some ideas:

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/KayakPictures2.html

And here to show you how:

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk/KayakProjec...ct_Trolley.html

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Starvin, I've been looking at those for a couple of days, I am going to build one similar to your second design for a Malibu 2 XL. I'm trying to make a small modification to it though. I want to be able to place it on the roof of the car with the wheels held clear of the rear window, and then use them to roll the kayak on and off the roof rack :)

I notice someone made one for the Malibu 2 and used 32mm pipe, do you think that your 21.5mm with dowel might not be up to the weight?

Hi Fodder.

I have one made from 21.5 pipe with wooden dowl inside.

I havnt had any problems with it yet.Its been used over sand and Pebbles with all my equipment onboard.They are very strong :)

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Excellent, I figure if I put an extra t piece at the base just before the wheels facing back and cover it in foam, it will hold the wheels clear of the car and allow you to use the wheels to roll the kayak onto the rack.......well that's the theory. I think I'll document it and post it if it works.

[ 25. August 2005, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Fodder ]

Glsgowdan, get yer hands on a Zimmer, walking frame thingy. 20mm Ally tube and little plastic things that fit in the end of the tubes to attach another piece at right angles, your local NHS Trust throw knackered ones out all the time, failing that car boot sales.

I'll post a piccy later

If you make one that works for a Malibu 2 Why not make two and sell one to me? Go on you know you want to!!

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Artfulfisher has recently made one for his pair of Malibu II's this was the his second version and far stronger, the main problem with the Malibu's is that the scupper holes are much larger than the Prowlers and Capers etc so you need to increase the size of pipe accordingly, I would try and reinforce it in some way as well.

On the point of wheeling it up over your rear window, I would be very careful, I know of people who have had bike racks crash in through the back, rear windows are not designed to take heavy weights or pressure, they can easily pop their seals, or worse still shatter.

Personally I would try and use a peace of plastic pipe around your roof bar and see if that will allow you to roll it up, this has been suggested to me in the past.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Starvin, good point about the window, but I've seen something on the net that had a single leg touching the rear window and it seemed to work. I'm planning a whole foam covered bar, this should spread the weight more. I'll see if I can get the roof to hold some of the weight too.

Another thing, how important is it to go to the size of the scupper holes? It's just that 19mm dowel fits perfectly into 21.5mm uPVC pipe! What did Art use to strengthen his?

It's nice to have a tightish fit. I'll give Art a call and get him to give you a run down.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X