Tandem Advice

Goose

Hi Guys

I’m a saltwater fly fisher and new to this whole kayak lark, but for me it could be the ideal vessel. I have used a trailerd 12’ 6”open boat to date, but just cant be bothered to wait till the tide is right for a launch from the all to few public slipways.

At the start of the summer my wife kept saying she would like to canoe around the local coast where we live, which is Whitstable in Kent by the way. But she loved the idea of an Indian style canoe. After a few months I have finally convinced her that a sit-on is a far better and safer option.

So I am looking for some advice on a tandem sit-on yak. It needs to be just as suitable for both solo and two’s up use. Most of them seem to be around the 13’ mark but don’t have a lot of on-top storage for when it is being used as a two man. This could be a little limiting if we wanted to go of camping for the weekend. The yak that takes my fancy at the moment is the Ocean Kayak Zest 2 Exp http://www.brighton-canoes.co.uk/productpa...ak-zest-two.htm . This seems to be about right for two adults and can take a good payload for weekend trips. As the blurb says, it is slightly narrower than most other tandem yaks thereby making it faster, and I assume easier to paddle as a solo craft. I could always fit the Mini Kota 50 that’s sitting in the shed.

So have you guys any suggestions as to which could be my ideal yak.

Regards

Goose

Goose

www.therodloft.com

"Saltwater fly casters are members of a higher order – They Are Extreme - They Are Hardcore"

Member of B.A.S.S. www.ukbass.com

+ www.ukswff.co.uk + SACN

R U a member, if not why not?

--------------------------------------

Yak: yellow P13

Hi Goose

You are right to be weary of open canoes, however if fitted out corectly i,e air bags, outriggers and positive bouyancy and with a little practise of swamping and capsize recovery they can be a very usefull tool.

Take a look at the Adventure 16 from Mad River canoes. This is the same model that I am about to fit out for coastal fishing. Of course the same applies to kayaks as canoes when it comes to safety and the same rules apply to both which ever type of water you intend fishing.

As for tandem yaks I'm sure one of the other posters will give you some good recomendations.

Adventure 16

canoe.jpg

[ 21. September 2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: GB ]

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi Goose

Done a lot of searching myself over the last couple of months but only looking for a single SOT.

However, on my travels I have come across tandems and the general feed back that I have received is the Malibu XL by Ocean Kayak will take some beating. Usual caveat applies give it a try to see if it suits you 2 personally.

I think I am also correct in saying that someone on the forum has one and actually uses it solo when the partner isn't around. Just a pointer....welcome anyway. :)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Thanks for the reply GB but I have only just convinced her to go for a sit on and don’t to cloud her judgment, besides she wanted a puka Indian canoe, bows and all.

Hi Squatter how you doing? Hope the English lessons are going well, mind you looking at a couple of post on this forum you keep slipping back into your native tongue.

I really think that a yak gives us so much more freedom and we are able to fly fish our regular marks for so much longer than we can by wading. I know that you are a big fan of tubes but you are a little limited on there use in the sea. At least with a yak you have the option of fitting outriggers if you know the sea is going to be a little lumpy.

http://kayakfishingstuff.com/articles_view...yak_Articles=31

Jamie is worse than me; he's always looking to lighten his wallet.

When are you of to Canada Mike? If you come across the Scott fly rod holder can you get me a couple and I will pay you when you get back.

Not sure when I will be going for one but I'm hoping it will be this side of Christmas.

Have a great time in Canada Mike.

Goose

Goose

www.therodloft.com

"Saltwater fly casters are members of a higher order – They Are Extreme - They Are Hardcore"

Hi Goose

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't tried SWFF myself but would would love to give it ago - more so after fishing in the Purbecks today (near Lulworth). I have plans to make some outriggers for my kayak using the ram mounts shown in that link.

Sorry I can't help you with your tandem kayak question. I know that two of us here have a malibu and malibu xl :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

If your planning on fitting a trolling motor as a backup the Zest 2 looks well suited - it's reasonably wide and has a tankwell you can fit a crate and motor mount to. 16'+ is a lot of yak to manage when you head out on your own though.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Goose,

Welcome to AN, like mentioned above the Malibu II is well proven for kayak fishing, Artfulfisher has a pair of them and the whole family go out, he does a lot of swffing from it too. there is storage space inside the hull and he uses his to good effect, even getting the rods inside if it gets a little sticky.

The Zest is a big beast, looks fantastic, had a good look at one last year at the boat show, if you've got the storage room I reckon it's should be a good bet, the Malibu is fine for paddling alone, at 70lbs the Zest could be heavy going, and you will definitely need a good trolley.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

hi i have a tandom kayak, which i use with my brother, its perciption gemini and its great lol. its slightly heavy with two ofyou however in the water its quiet light.

also once in the water its easily paddled with one and sit high in the water. Theres lots of space and plenty ofg room for riging.

hope this helps.

kelvin

Hi Goose,

I have just read that the New range of Malibu Fishing Kayaks are about to hit the UK, and will be at the South of EnglandAgriculture show in Haywards Heath.

These Kayaks are hardcore, and are designed for fisherman by fishermen, they have a Tandem called the Pro 2 "Fish and Dive" and it doe's what it says on the label, ha ha!!

If your wife is paranoid about going out on the water on a SOT then she should tryout one of these, they have fantastic stability, and a massive carrying payload of 250KG, and only weighs about 29KG.

Have alook for yourself mate, I have pasted a few links that I found on the Fishyak site. Goodluck.

http://www.fishyak.com/photopro2.html

http://www.fishyak.com/protandem.html

http://www.fishyak.com/riggedtandem.html

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I have come to the decision that I’m going to have to buy two yaks. I feel that the tandem will only ever be a compromise as far as my fishing is concerned, and from a safty point of view I would be reluctant to take it out solo in anything but fairly flat conditions. So I think it’s a P13 for my fishing and next spring I’ll take the wife down to Brighton and have a look and go in the tandems.

Goose

www.therodloft.com