Yak Diver.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi

I did some spearfishing from my kayak hence the name YakDiver, but I developed emphysema (too many fags) :( and now I find it hard to get down to any depth so I thought of fishing with a rod instead of a gun !!!

I have a Cobra Navigator 12.5ft had it for about 5 years now and I find it very good both for handling on the water and getting back in it from the water.

I have been fishing of some sorts most of my life started boat fishing than beach, fresh water and fly fishing at this time I don't have any gear for boat fishing so looking around for a light set up something in the 12lb class.

YakDiver (Richard)

Ps I don't think you are nosey, I was going to introduce myself sometime today so now I've done it

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Hi Yakdiver

Welcome to the forum.

If your after 12lb class gear I recomend a shakespear ugly stik 12lb or a conoflex 12lb class uptider. Both good rods and will handle most things that swim. The new solid carbon rods are supposed to be good, I'm sure 1 of the users of these rods will give you some info on them.

[ 24. September 2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: GB ]

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi YakDiver

Welcome

Zzippy speaks highly of the Ugly Stick boat rods. I'm using the Fladen Solid C rods - they're great very light and sensitive... but they are short at 6'5". Not a problem for me as I have a short yak but on some of the longer yaks it may be harder to pass the line around the bow when needed.

I've been using a pair of Penn Tuffstick rods over the last few months and at 7' 6" I can cast a bit further than the Solid C. Although up to the job they are a bit chunky in the handle and not as sensitive.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi YakDiver,

I'm after a new 12lber like the look of the Solid C but like SpeciMan points out, a little short, popped into to have another look for one today, big problem is the thickness of the handles, why are they so thick? Got a couple of Grauvell Anaga's at the moment, they have been fine for 12 months but had a bit of a problem on the Tope trip with the top section twisting under load, if you push the section in to hard, it just disappears inside the mid section. Hence I'm looking.

Want to have a good look at the Maxximus Carbon, this is 7.5ft, haven't found one in the shops yet, only on the web.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

MJB:

Hey YakDiver,

I bet you find catch and release a tad easier with rod and line    :D  

There is no doubt that he would but when spear fishing you are able to be selective and so you only take the fish you want for the table. Contrary to what many think, spear fishing is an extremely skilful way of catching fish. Most fish are very wary of anything bigger than themselves so often a fair bit of stalking is necessary and you only have the one breath on which to do it all!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Hi Mad Yakker In Oz

I went free diving i.e. without tanks it was too much hassle and cost with tanks.

My Cobra Navigator is still as I brought except a fish finder dead basic all I used to do was to hang nylon cord from the kayak to put my fins, speargun, weight belt ect and if lucky the fish on before getting back in.

As I always went on my own I never took any photo's and to be honest most of my fish were nothing special the odd bass and flat fish.

Have a look here on kayak/divering

http://www.kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm

Chevin your right in what you say in selective, but I would not call myself "extremely skilful" more like bl@@dy clumsy and most of my shots were more luck than judgement LOL I think my first fish died of a heart attack as I took so long before I fired the shot.

"you say most fish are very wary" there not I've had bass come right up to me and have hand fed a large thornback skate it was about 11-12 LB.

But now sadly I can't go down very deep now I still like to snorkel, but never go below 10-12 ft, so it will be with rod and line from now on.

[ 28. September 2005, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: YakDiver ]

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Non Omnis moriar=not all of me will die?

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"