Big Fish!

Moonyaker

As yet I haven't caught a fish from a 'yak! Something I will be rectifying in the not too distant future. However, attractive though the idea of catching monsters is, there comes a point whereby towing a 'yak would be so easy for some fish they would take far too long for the exercise to be practical. I have caught a lot of sharks from a variety of boats and been towed at astonishing speeds for long periods of time. I have had several fish that have towed boats between 12' and 20' in length for over an hour before I have eventually pulled for a break. I had a 1200lb tiger shark that actually towed a 42 foot steel built boat astern and still took me two and a half hours to beat. With fish like sharks it is not a good plan to exhaust them during a fight because when they stop swimming they sink! So, at the end of a fight that can be every bit as exhausting to the angler, you finish up with a huge fish hanging straight down below the boat and it can be the devil's own job to get it to the surface.

While I am keen to catch some big fish from a kayak, I am not going to set my sights at catching monsters. It can be a very painful exercise which gets to a point where it is a commitment rather than the fun fishing should be.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moonyaker:

mmmmmmm. An idea is forming, havent they just lifted the ban on fishing for Tuna off the West Coast of Ireland? I seem to recall that in the 1920's and 1930's they used to fish for Tuna in the North Sea and get dragged around in Rowing Boats for hours on end , so a yak would do nicely. We were out fishing a place called Culloo in Kerry Last year and our Guide John said that the Tuna had returned and been spotted a couple of miles off the Coast which I guess would have been the Western end of Dingle Bay at that point but finding somewhere to Launch would be a problem. Probably have to charter a mothership from one of the Kerry Harbours. It might be worth thinking about over those long winters evenings. My pals have been speculating about going to Florida Fishing instead of Ireland next year but this seems a tad more adventurous than Bone fish fishing to me. any thoughts?

That does sound interesting! There is a very good launching place near the western end of Dingle Bay at Coonana harbour on the Kerry Peninsula. It is just a few miles form Cahirciveen and it is a beautifully sheltered harbour. Perfect for what you want.

If you are fishing in that area and can get a mother ship to take you out, it is worth having a look at the area around the Skellig Rocks and also the southern end of Valencia Island. Actually anywhere along the western face of Valencia Island could provide some excellent fishing, but I don't know of any launching sites that would be of use.

Again, if you are in that part of the world, don't forget Brandon Bay. The fishing there can be incredible and in 1976 I caught a tope well over the Irish record which I chose to return rather than kill for verification. Excellent launching facilities at Brandon Village, (not Brandon Harbour for Brandon Bay) with Nora Murphie's bar just at the top of the launching ramp!

If I can help with more information on the area, please feel free to ask.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The blue fin tuna are returning to the Irish waters - and they have a protection order on them to keep the japanese away - they are lurking just outside the limit.

The tuna John (Quinlan by any chance?)was talking about a few miles out are the little bonito and possibly albacore - go to about 15lbs and if you can imagine a 15lb mackerel....not a bad fish to catch from a kayak, or boat for that matter. Up in West Mayo they have caught a few of the bluefins - there are a couple of charter boats going for them - biggest just over 800lbs so far.

My father was a member of the Tunny Club of G.B. - catching those tuna in the North Sea that Moonyakker was on about. They ysed a whaler to fish from and trolled a mounted herring around the drifters when they hauled their nets. He got a fish of 633lbs which took him 5 hours to beat and towed the boat 6.5 miles! A heavy old whaler remeber, not a light fibreglass boat.

I wish I still had is Zane Gray reel - worht a fortune now.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Yes, twas John Quinlan!I hanker after taking the Yak to Ballinskelligs next year and yes a trip to the Skellig Islands would be tremendous, such a dramatic setting and I guess that the water must be really deep there and the fishing potential amazing, especially for Lunker Pollack. It would be a great area to have a Yak fishing Fest dont you think?

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

I think this thread is getting off topic a bit - and I am as much to blame as anyone. Going to start a new thread on this - Irish Tuna sounds a good title.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi

I've folowed this thread with interest. I have caught Porgies from N Devon, all behaved in similar ways, not that aggresive until lifted from the water or attempting to tail them (sorry guys but in comparison to long liners I never object to taking the odd table fish). They were usually fairly docile in their approach to the boat.

As stated in earlier posts if you fish with the correct gear, drag settings and normal steel hooks you should be able to catch and release any shark caught which should recover. I don't think I would attempt it alone as I havn't even caught a fish from my yak yet (it's mid atlantic at the moment)but it's certainly one of the reasons I bought it.

As for 600lb sharks chewing the yak, I think that's the stuff of dreams, good ones though, it's a record fish and Porgies have small mouths, about big enough to fit yer foot in.

I've also tried fishing for them from the shore with a 7lb TC Catfish rod, Shimano TLD20 twin speed loaded with 20lb northern rock, got out to about 350 yds

Fairwell and adieu to you fair spanish ladies

Flynny