Big Fish!

Moonyaker

I took my boys to rugby last Sunday Morning as usual and got talking to one of the other dads who it turned out is a Diver and we got onto the subject of fishing and Kayak Fishing and he had seen Simon Everett's most recent Article on Tope fishing in BFM and I wildly speculated that that maybe that after Tope that someone would be mad enough to target Porbeaglesfrom a Kayak and he then told me that the guys he dives with have been buzzed and plagued by a 9ft Porbeagle in recent weeks which they estimate is around 450-600lbs in weight. Having just read BFM again, If such a fish is detained it would easily be a world record. He said that one of the local charter boats had hooked this fish several times but had not been able to capture it. If all this is true, the fish is within an easy paddle!

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wahay sounds great, altough I'm not to keen on water skiing.

Having landed a few porgy's myself I would not reccomend targeting this speices from a yak unless you got some serious experience in kayaking and of handling large shark. Tope are a walk in the park compared to porgy's. My P.B is only in the low 100lb mark and that was a serious hanfull even on 30lb class gear.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

the weight a kayak can keep afloat stat wise is around 250 kilo isnt it i think a 600 shark may well have more than enuff power to actually drag you and your yak well under :D

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Not if you had the drag set correctly :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

good shout satrvin, i think it could be done. Someone posted a vidoe the other day of those americans fishing for sharks on their kayaks. The guy on there said they grow upto 200 lbs, so maybe its possible lol.

Im i right in saying they would be the say size as the kayak??? lol

kelvin

Hungry Fisherman:

the weight a kayak can keep afloat stat wise is around 250 kilo isnt it i think a 600 shark may well have more than enuff power to actually drag you and your yak well under   :D  

Perhaps if it sounded and you didn't give line, but sharks rarely go straight down in my experience so you are more likely to go for a towed ride! Having been towed by bronze whalers in a 12' boat, I would think that hooking similar fish from a 'yak would be exhilerating!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

With regard to that video clip, did you here the guy say that they occasionally get bit not sure what I would prefer, being bit or getting a treble in the chin... neither I guess. :D

From a personal point of view, without a mothership I think that targetting the larger sharks would be foolhardy, the guys in the states have been targetting the threshers for some time and have experience of catching and handling big fish from their kayaks.

It's great to talk about it, but to go for it would need proper organisation... would make one hell of a story in the pub afterwards. :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Having said that if anyone gets organised, I'll be there. :D

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X