Tarpon 120 your views

Goose

As regards the Pro being wetter because it sits lower - only through the seat of your pants because you are sat below the waterline. A good set of neoprene waders (or wet suite or dry paddle pants) will sort that out - in which case forget the scupper bungs in the seat and just let the water slop under you - you stay dry inside your gear.

Water over the top? hardly ever - I have had ONE wave break over the bow, but that was a mistimed run through about a 6 foot surf. Look carefully at the bow and you will see an overhang running around the kayak to about the seat area. That is a spray rail and it works VERY effectively - the Malibu X-Factor has this feature too - it gives extra strength to the kayak too.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey Simon thanks for all you work sticking that lot up, it must have taken most of you day up.

If we forget about the whole leak stuff with the Prowler. I am looking for a yak that I can use all year round to fly fish the coastal waters primarily in the southeast which will range from the fairly flat water on the Kentish flats to some quite good swells in the Channel. Safety has to be my primary concern, as most of the time I will be out on my own.

So what would be your number one choice of yak?

If it’s any help I am 6’ tall and weigh about 14 stone.

I want to get this right before I shell out £600+

Thanks again for all the trouble you have gone to.

Regards

Malcolm

Goose

www.therodloft.com

"Saltwater fly casters are members of a higher order – They Are Extreme - They Are Hardcore"

Member of B.A.S.S. www.ukbass.com

+ www.ukswff.co.uk + SACN

R U a member, if not why not?

--------------------------------------

Yak: yellow P13

Goose,

if this is your first kayak ever - don't buy anything! Borrow one to start with, like Captain and His Organ did.

Save your money, spend a bit on fuel to come fishing with one of us - YY in Exmouth (he asked for that), Starvin in Hampshire/Sussex (somehwere wealthy down south anyway) :D or us up here. I know I am speaking for others, but they have all shown willing in the past to help out.

Only when you have paddled a few and got to feel the differences will you understand what is being said about the different models.

If you are on the Kent coast and need to paddle against the tide - then go for one of the faster models, as Specimen and ZZipy found out off Dorset, a bit of extra speed makes a hell of a difference in certain situations - and plugging a fast tide is one of them. If you have a kayak that you can paddle constantly at 4 knots (it would need to be GOOD plastic one) and the tide is running against you at 2 knots - you are paddling TWICE as hard as usual to go the same distance - every paddle stroke then adds up. Suddenly the weight of your paddle becomes an issue, the fact that your mate can do 5 knots becomes an issue and having been lifting your paddle all day - fatigue suddenly sets in. It isn't in flat water that the ease of paddling (speed) shows up - it is in tough conditions.

Waves are not that worrying to any of the sea kayaks. The Scupper Pro is probably 30% easier to paddle than the Prowler 13 (and about the same as the P15) which in turn is probably 10% easier than a Caper, which is another 10% - 15% easier than a Drifter - suddenly there is a gulf opening up between the Drifter and the Scupper Pro - BUT, if you are an American wrestler you won't get into the Scupper, end of story, the P13 is probably a bit tight around the hips - so the aircraft carrier is the only thing left!

Weight is less of an issue than bodily size - any of the kayaks are more than capable of taking 16 stones out - legroom is going to be your main concern, that and seat width.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

good stuff!

Hi Simon,

I've recently bought a Hobie Mirage Outback (the one with the Penguin paddles as well as a normal paddle). Having read your posts above I know

that I should have tried others out first - but to some one new to kayaking it looked the business as I wanted to troll for Pollock/Bass etc.

It has handled very well on the few times I have used it in Devon.

Could you tell me what (if anything) you have heard about its design and the level of stability I can expect from the hull.

Being able to peddle it does have its advantages, as it uses the larger muscles in the legs, but I obviously still need the paddle to navigate through the waves on the beach.

I know a few others on the forum have bought one, so I’d be really interested to get any advice/feedback on them.

Thanks

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Simon, thanks for taking the time to explain all the pros/cons, much appreciated.

Do you know when the NEW version of the Scupper Pro, the one you demo'd a while back be available?

Also will the London Boat Show be a good place to get a deal on said yak?

Cheers

JRT