Tarpon 120 your views

Goose

Morning all, I had made up mind to get a Prowler 13 but am now having some reservations with all the stories floating around regarding leaking. I don’t really want to wait two or three month until OK get the problem sorted out. I’m being a bit of a big kid here, cos I want it and I want it now. Anyway I am now looking at the Wilderness Tarpon 120, and was wondering if you guys had any views on this yak.

Goose

www.therodloft.com

"Saltwater fly casters are members of a higher order – They Are Extreme - They Are Hardcore"

Member of B.A.S.S. www.ukbass.com

+ www.ukswff.co.uk + SACN

R U a member, if not why not?

--------------------------------------

Yak: yellow P13

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goose,

The Prowler 13 is proven to be the business and highly recommended by all who have been lucky not to have suffered the scupper problem, go for it, only a small proportion have leaked and as written else where on the forum Johnson Outdoors are on the case and the problem is being sorted.

As for the Tarpon, looks extremely well made, not had the pleasure of paddling one yet, so unable to comment on the stability.

Why the 120 not the 140 just out of interesest.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi SM

Thanks for the reply. Are those Prowlers that are leaking all leaking from the same place i.e. the scupper? Is the problem happening to all the colour range or is it limited to just one colour? I really like the Prowler but don’t think I could put up with all the sodding around if I should be one of the unlucky ones that picks a leaker. I am thinking of the Tarpon 120 over the 140 because a 12' yak will suit some of the creeks and backwaters I have in mind to fish so don’t really need the extra 2' and I can store the 12 easier than the 14. Is there a reason for going for the 14 over the 12?

Goose

www.therodloft.com

"Saltwater fly casters are members of a higher order – They Are Extreme - They Are Hardcore"

Member of B.A.S.S. www.ukbass.com

+ www.ukswff.co.uk + SACN

R U a member, if not why not?

--------------------------------------

Yak: yellow P13

The leaking I believe is only from the Scupper Holes, and can happen to any of the colour range.

Personally I would go for the 140 it looks like a dryer ride and I think you will prefer paddling something a little longer, more directional stability, and more room to swing a cat, if you should decide to take one along. Weight wise there is very little in it. My Caper is only 45lbs at 11ft long!

I would try and get a paddle of one before buying though as they don't appear to have any secondary stability i.e. round bottomed as apposed to having shoulders like the bottom of the Prowler and Caper, and may cause difficulty when chucking the fluff.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

If you are loking at a kayak for SWFF then the Prowler is excellent - if you are not as profiled as The Captains Organ you might fit the Scupper Pro - fabulous stability and really good for paddling in a tide.

The Prowler has more room on it than the Pro.

The Tarpons are heavier than the OKs - the 120 won't worry you, but the 140 is a bit of a beast to lift, I've tried.

Also the Tarpon has a very flat bottom with longitudinal strakes. Very good for straight line tracking, but the bottom profile leads me to believe that the primary stability will be better then the secondary. What this means is that it will feel very stable at first, then suddenly tip you out in a wave.

A good sea kayak is one that moves - moving is different to tipping over. Instead of running out of primary stability and then being dicey, a kayak with good secondary stability will simply roll over and lean - but NOT fall over or tip you off. The Scupper pro willlean to about 30 degrees - with water coming over the gunwale (side) and still not tip over. The Prowler is not quite so stable as this because you are sitting higher up, but it is still quite stable enough to fly cast from. If you give me 20 minutes I will put up some pictures of the engorged organ for you to see just how stable the Prowler is..... :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Sorry chaps and chapesses - I had to take the lads to their swimming club!

Here are some pictures of different kayaks for you to see - just follow on down, captions may be at the top or the bottom, depending on how quickly i remember how to do this!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Remember this is the first time the Captain has been out in the kayak and he is dealing with the surf within 10 seconds of getting aboard:

CRW_0892.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Having paddled out through the bit of surf rolling onto the flat beach he then had to get to grips with fishing from this alien platform:

CRW_0900.jpg

See - it was easy.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo