Unusual Flatfish - Id Help Needed!

a1angler

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No definitely the first time I've posted on anglers net, lurked for quite a while though, but being a marine biologist by profession I thought I'd chip in with a proper ID to save any further embarrasing mis-id's.

It may well have a few mutant genes, but not due to any power station effects, natural mutation is relatively common in some sea fish, especially flatfish, double sided coloured or white both sided flounder spring to mind (Ambi-colouration).

Cheers

Doc

No definitely the first time I've posted on anglers net, lurked for quite a while though, but being a marine biologist by profession I thought I'd chip in with a proper ID to save any further embarrasing mis-id's.

It may well have a few mutant genes, but not due to any power station effects, natural mutation is relatively common in some sea fish, especially flatfish, double sided coloured or white both sided flounder spring to mind (Ambi-colouration).

Cheers

Doc

Hi Doc,

Well we seem to be getting somewhere now, and it is getting difficult to see any alternative to it being a dab. But we do need to rewrite the textbooks, with rough scales not being a consistent feature of the species any more. I guess we can keep the textbooks if we put this down to a spontaneous mutation affecting scales (and probably teeth also), but how does that square with the fact that another one was caught nearly 100 miles away?

However, I still think Dale's idea of a hybrid is a possibility and I've found literature references to dab-flounder hybrids, but sadly don't have a marine biology library handy to check it out :-)

Never thought this discussion would run as long :-)

Cheers,

Alan

he's already given it and as we thought its a ****ing dab

Thanks Gareth, missed that post :D

I know the Docs' comments on colour are correct through the animal world, what mizzed me was the smooth skin, I always thought the scales were a good way of sorting the dabs, I have only caught them with rough skin.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist