Spinning For Perch And Pike

Gaz51

Had a friutless early afternoon on the local cut today.

I was targetting perch and/or pike. Conditions were slightly overcast with bright spells. Water clarity fairly clear.

Started the session with a small Ondex spinner casting toward likely looking predator spots (far shelf vegetation/reeds etc but with no luck. Switched to a small shallow diving fat lure, again casting to the far shelf, again no takes. A small minnow pattern lure, the same

The major problem I had was with the amount of fallen leaves on the surface which made smooth retrieval difficult.

I know there are small pike and small to good sized perch residing in this particular stretch but they just didn't fancy it today.

Was I doing something wrong? I'm the first to accept I am no lure/spinning expert but the majority of my casts were on the whole fairly accurate to good fish holding areas. I did wonder if better results could be obtained by retrieving PAST the likely spots but this was not really possible.

Any thoughts on the subject please? :(

Edited by Gaz51

Sounds good Peter, I had a quick look on tacklebargains web site for 'paravane' and found a rather odd looking black thing which can be towed behind a boat, is that it?

Any info on this and how it is used to fish, say, the far bank of a canal would be appreciated, thanks.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Try side planers rather than paravanes. Blessed Yanks don't speak English!!

Have a look at:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...ch-results1.jsp

or:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...arentType=&rid=

Edited by Peter Waller

Thanks for the link Peter, but like snotty (excellent forum name) I am intrigued as to how they are used to fish the far bank of a canal.

Any pointers please? :unsure:

Another vote for planers here. I built one a few years back and have enjoyed some good catches from my local cuts whilst towing lures (a size 3 Mepps is a favorite) along paralel to the bank.

You control the running distance by letting more or less line out so that you can "troll" the lure anywhere from the centre channel to (in bright sunlight) 6" off the far bank.

Running depth is controlled by a combination of trolling (walking) spead and the length of the tail behind the board.

Mine was about 7" long and made of Balsa and plastic and could be made to run in either direction without re-rigging. It was a littlle unstable at speed or with lures that had more drag than a Mepps but worked well.

I have an idea fo a simpler and more stable version and will post them if it works.

The US versions look like they're designed to run lure to one side of a boat and are consequently a bit big. If Peter has used them, perhaps he can give you some idea of their size.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I have, Ken, one I got from Harris Angling of old. Coincidently there was an article in Pike & Predators about it some time ago so I was not alone in trying it. Yes, the one I have, from Lurh Jensen, is designed to work from a boat. Strange looking beast but it works. I generally use mine with shallow running plugs. Strangely enough I have never had a pike hit the planner yet they hit the plug 'chasing' it. I don't use mine on a canal but so I can work tight to the margins when trolling from a boat, but the principle is the same.

Edited by Peter Waller

I've never had a pike hit the planer, but 3 or 4 have followed it so closely that they looked as if they were resting their chins on it.

In every case, they've just dropped back after 3 or 4m without so much as a swirl or look at the following lure. If it hadn't been for the clear water, I'd never have known they were there.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.