Summer Is Better Than Winter

stavey

For a break away from the more usual conservation topics posted here for a while, i was thinking as to why so many people still look forward to the winters beach fishing nowadays, i must say that for me i have found that in recent times the summer months have been allround much better for catching a larger stamp of fish, for example, this year i have caught smoothhound to 8lb mullet to almost 7lb and bass to 5lb, during the last half dozen winters i have failed to catch anything bigger than 1lb, now this is obviously to do mainly with the dissapearance of the cod from around here and i am wondering if it is now time to look at things a little differently.

I am no longer enthused to go out in all weathers to dig lug in the winter as i feel the sport now does'nt warrant it, and my tackle and methods have also changed, banishing the stiff cod poles to shed or attic, and i am finding the only rod i use for general fishing now down the beach is a century flattie rod, (by the way if anyone has one of these rods spare and wants to get rid let me know by pm)

I am located in the south and maybe things up north have not started to change just yet, but it would be interesting to know if others in other locations are thinking or viewing it along similar lines?

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still look forward to winter for the cod though there's not the fish around there were 20 years back. I reckon it is now better than it was 10 years ago mind. Our summer fishing has picked up, with bass being more readily available. Boat wise around here it is generally pretty dead; the summer bass and sole tend to be close in. Best of all is probably autumn and spring when we get a good crossover of species. I reckon with application, there are decent fish to be had all year round, though a change of tactics and thinking is probably needed. Crabs are the bain of summer fishing though they can be avoided at times. Given what seems to be the state of fishing down your way, I'd say you've made a wise decision.

I still look forward to winter for the cod though there's not the fish around there were 20 years back. I reckon it is now better than it was 10 years ago mind. Our summer fishing has picked up, with bass being more readily available. Boat wise around here it is generally pretty dead; the summer bass and sole tend to be close in. Best of all is probably autumn and spring when we get a good crossover of species. I reckon with application, there are decent fish to be had all year round, though a change of tactics and thinking is probably needed. Crabs are the bain of summer fishing though they can be avoided at times. Given what seems to be the state of fishing down your way, I'd say you've made a wise decision.
Hi norfolk boy, if it stays realy warm this winter its still worth a look during a blow for a short session or two, i pick up enough slippers in ten minutes and fish in the surf with me freshwater gear for schoolies ok they rarely go obve the pound but its a laugh, next time you get a realy good cod year il come up that way for a weekend and have a go, but it has got to be a proper bumper year and not like this year is looking so far though, maybe next? cheers.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I did say: 'Crabs are the bain of summer fishing though they can be avoided at times. ' To be honest the bain of spring and autumn too. Best avoided by fishing in winter. Our best bait, lug, is not crab resistant and is probably the most expensive in the country. I have my methods however.

You'll know about it if it turns into a bumper year! I had about 20 keepers last season and lost 1 good fish, some people I know easily had double that. This season, I've had none to date.

You'll know about it if it turns into a bumper year! I had about 20 keepers last season and lost 1 good fish, some people I know easily had double that. This season, I've had none to date.

Yes summer is lots better than winter, unless you are a match angler of course, its at this time of year that the match angler comes into his own with the thousands of pin whitting and pout.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Is it still black and white north of Wattford? or have you got colour now?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

you certainly are luck to av any cod left, they are history hear realy.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

From the shore winter is definately best here.

And we havent got any cod, never really have had so dont miss them :P

Winter here is Black bream, bass, rays and huss until January. Mullet all the way through until April with the best times in Dec to Feb.

Strange we get the mullet in the winter but not so much in the summer <_<