Summer Is Better Than Winter

stavey

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike,

I have been traveling to Deal to fish the pier for bass, I have had 4 fish from 2.5lb to 5lb on live pout, I have also missed two or three good bites.

I have heard that the Admiralty is faily good for late bass, have you any info?

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

10 pound cod has been caught off Admiralty Pier Dover.

Ah well there goes the one and only Cod for us southerners, might as well not bother this winter then.

Think I'll take up Piking (at least you can catch something over 20lb and from the river bank to boot) or some easy Trout from a well stocked fishery, does make you wonder why bother anymore with winter sea fishing down here :lol::lol::lol:B)

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Guest @AUTUMN@

Cant beat Autumn/Winter.

This summer I caught my first size bass and more Makeral than you can shake a stick at, but I see it as something to pass a few hours rather than anything really enjoyable . But how can that compare to hunting those winter cod. Collecting your bait, choosing your venue, decending the cliffs in the dead of night miles from anywhere. Give me winter and those cod any day.

Last night I caught 4 cod for a total wieght of 18 pounds 1 oz. I was shaking due to the adrenalin rush. Fantastic.

Each to their own I guess, certainly the sensations described by @Autumn@ and Maximo apply just as much to those of us who put a lot of time in, going after, and catching decent bass.

I would love a catch of cod like yours from the shore though @AUTUMN@, well done. Not a huge likelyhood down here of course. I'll still keep trying though ;) .

Edited by RichardB
DON'T PANIC

It is good to here things are still acceptable as regards cod fishing for you guys up north, it stands to reason in this part of the channel that as things got worse we would be the first to feel the effects as we where a bit of an overspill area for the southern north sea cod, still on the bright side for us old southern softies we are starting to see an increase of more southern species, the black bream fishing is getting better every year here with fish in the 3lb bracket coming off the beaches, red mullet is as common now as seagulls crap, triggers are appearing in bigger numbers just offshore and the spratts are being replaced by anchovy, maybe we may start to get a tuna run next soon following these up the channel? yes the cod have gone for good here but interesting days lie ahead. :)

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

It is good to here things are still acceptable as regards cod fishing for you guys up north, it stands to reason in this part of the channel that as things got worse we would be the first to feel the effects as we where a bit of an overspill area for the southern north sea cod, still on the bright side for us old southern softies we are starting to see an increase of more southern species, the black bream fishing is getting better every year here with fish in the 3lb bracket coming off the beaches, red mullet is as common now as seagulls crap, triggers are appearing in bigger numbers just offshore and the spratts are being replaced by anchovy, maybe we may start to get a tuna run next soon following these up the channel? yes the cod have gone for good here but interesting days lie ahead. :)

well said that man! good to see a bit of positivity! im from worthing on a pritty featurles part of the coast line!

ok the cod have been gone for years but your right about the red mullet! and who know maybe a few tropicals might turn up in the future!

nice one! the first post that hasnt been all doom and gloom for the south coast!

ya cheered me up mate :D:rolleyes:

Summer may be more comfortable on the boats. But winter can be more productive?

Large whiting (4lb plus) and large wrasse (5-6lb) are not easy in summer. Whilst in winter they become the norm.

Also the nuisance bass seem to know somewhere better to go, leaving just the feisty individuals behind.

Besides, 6 hrs is as long as I can bare on a frosty deck. I catch a few fish and long for the comfort of the pub. :o

We don`t use J`s anymore!!