Rewaxing Waxed Jackets

GlennB

Anyone tried this? I bought a tub of the right wax from an outdoor shop but the results are patchy (literally) to say the least.

Any handy hints and tips very welcome. Is there an alternative to just spending hours rubbing in with a bit of cloth? Like, dissolving it in some solvent or other and spraying it on ;)

cheers

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

bought something years ago from army/navy stores like a dye block you dissolved it in water and soaked said item for 24 hours but i left it a week then hang to dry

brilliant stuff am still using jacket now and still waterproof best couple of quid i ever spent think it came from the dylon range

MOH.gifmynewsiggy.gif

www.electricunclesam.com

I use a bit of sponge, make sure the wax has been well-heated by putting the tin in a bowl of hot water, and then - and this is the bit that helps with the patchy finish problem - finishing off with a hairdryer. It *is* a bit time-consuming, but it's the best way to make sure the wax penetrates into the seams and odd corners.

Or, dump the wax jacket in favour of a new, lightweight, low-maintenance, non-car-seat-staining alternative (which I'm seriously considering). B)

...and this is the bit that helps with the patchy finish problem - finishing off with a hairdryer.....

Ahah! So the heat re-melts the wax and spreads it out? Must try this.

Incidentally, do you get the wax pretty much liquid beforehand or just softened?

Cheers Davy!

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Just get yourself something made out of Goretex, or one of them nice realtree jackets :D:D:D

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

the hot water / hair dryer works a treat ,and you can get far more into those useless seams that leak in strange places

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

When I used to wear wax jackets for wild fowling they used to get some hammer. The method we used to use for re-proofing was simply slap on the "Barbour" wax all over the jacket paying special attention to the seams, then hang on a coat hanger in the "cylinder cubbord" for a couple of days and the heat would melt the wax right back into the cloth. No shiny patches just evenly coated. Word of warning though, once you begin to re-proof this type of garment they are never quite the same as when first purchased. But if you are a serious "Barbour" traditionalist, go to "Downtown" near Grantham. They sell Barbour gear ridiculously cheap. I purchased "four" thick 100% pure wool Barbour jumpers for £15 each. Normal price £60-70 each!

I stopped using wax cotton years ago. Now I obtain all my wet/winter gear for fishing from Cabelas in the US.

Regards,

Lee.

they are over rated even my real barbour coats over the years leaked like seives,my old boss took pity on me in my ankle length (but totally waterproof) "oilskin" (in reality a plastic covered fabric) when his dogs decided to tear it to pieces in a game one weekend ,he bought a real drovers coat (made in melbourne) in replacement (probably the nearest thing he could find in harrods),i haddent the guts to diss his kind gift and suffered staggering about in a sodden waxed ankle lenght coat when he was in the country ,when he wasent there i used a wheely bin plastic sack with a trio of holes in ,even lighter than my dog ruined coat,and i could have a new one every day :D:D

on leaving his employment when he moved completly abroad i sold the coat to green welly wearing townies for £50 (they had become "fashionable") not a bad deal seeing it wasent one of the many substandard clones that appeared for silly figures then :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson