New Carp And Barbel Records

bingo

I read in AT this week that both these records were broken last week.

Carp (guess which one ;) ): 65lb 14oz

Barbel: 20lb 15oz from the Great Ouse.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I read in AT this week that both these records were broken last week.

Carp (guess which one ;) ): 65lb 14oz

Barbel: 20lb 15oz from the Great Ouse.

The AT also made great play on the fact that they came out within 24 hrs of each other.....so what?

If it's anything other than space filling by someone told to write 'x' number of words, I'm open to education.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Both are news to me.

Was the carp record broken accidentally by a bloke fishing for eels ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Although two tone and traveller are probably the best known fish in the country, and their capture does not not excite me, and possibly a great deal of others also, but the angling press have to report the capture, after all they are both new records in their own right.

Boring as it maybe, but least the fish were captured by anglers who were dedicated to their cause, so no fluke.

To fish for the expected record barbel or carp, in the same venue that they inhabit. time after time. can be compared with a lucky dip. Keep plunging your hand in the barrel and sooner or later you will pull out the big prize. I would rather catch a fish half the weight of these fish, if they were 'wild' and certainly didn't answer to any name. But each to their own.

Interesting that the new carp and barbel records produced, shall we say, such muted enthusiasm... leastways, such would appear to be the case on this forum. Is such a view representative of anglers as a whole, I wonder? Have anglers finally lost interest in records resulting from the repeat capture of known fish?

Interesting that the new carp and barbel records produced, shall we say, such muted enthusiasm... leastways, such would appear to be the case on this forum. Is such a view representative of anglers as a whole, I wonder? Have anglers finally lost interest in records resulting from the repeat capture of known fish?

Everyone else is out celebrating on a 4 day bender, Jim.

Expect a wave of responses at the weekend :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I had read it in the Mail, and, like Jim, have noted the general lack of enthusiasm to the news. Yes, it was predicatble, a less than one percent increase in that blessed carp's size wasn't it? It will get bigger, inevitably, until it snuffs it and the whole carp world goes into national mourning, which will be of great amusement / amazement to everyone else. It really is one great big, predictable yawn.

But that aside, the captor is undoubtably over the moon, and why not, he has achieved his ambition and is to be congratulated on that. But how long will it last? A very shallow victory?

I would have thought that the barbel record was slightly different as it has gone past the magical twenty pound barrier. Is that not just slightly notable? I thought so!

In all honesty, rather like Nige William's predictable recaptures of thirty pound pike, hasn't this targetted recapture lark rather, if not totally, devalued the record lists?

Edited by Peter Waller