Aldi £20 pole

adrian6171

Hi folks,well here goes (please don,t laugh) just bought this pole and boy it,s as heavy as a jumbo jet,now from the boys at work i was led to believe that the elastic went in the final bit of the pole but this one just has a hoop at the end,is this where i attach my elastic too.For the last 2 days i have been using a small rod and reel,meant for my son,after 12 hours of fishing on the leeds liverpool i have bagged about 30 fish but non bigger than 6 inch in length,i use red maggot size 16or 18 hook what can i do to catch any bigger fish and hopefully still get the same qty.The area i fish in is Botany Bay,in Chorley near Preston if that helps.

Regards Ady

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,well here goes (please don,t laugh) just bought this pole and boy it,s as heavy as a jumbo jet,now from the boys at work i was led to believe that the elastic went in the final bit of the pole but this one just has a hoop at the end,is this where i attach my elastic too.For the last 2 days i have been using a small rod and reel,meant for my son,after 12 hours of fishing on the leeds liverpool i have bagged about 30 fish but non bigger than 6 inch in length,i use red maggot size 16or 18 hook what can i do to catch any bigger fish and hopefully still get the same qty.The area i fish in is Botany Bay,in Chorley near Preston if that helps.

Regards Ady

what are you fishing, a river, canal, pond ?

throw a lot of ground bait in.

i dont like using the crumb and all the dynabait stuff i just like to chop up worms and mix them with sweetcorn and maggots and toss it in. it will attract bigger fish. get a worm slap it on the hook and toss it out, turn your reel handle quikly 1 turn every 10 seconds or longer to bring the bait in until you get to where you threw in the bait.

perch will often take it within those 10 seconds you have stoped reeling the bait in so judge how long to leave it before you turn the handle again.

sometimes i also just like to twitch the float (make it go under but not move from its current location) just to make the maggots dance a little, perch love it

works like a charm on my local canal

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Hi Adrian,

Just had a look at the Aldi pole and yes its a bit heavy but it is fibreglass and not carbon. I bought the 2 whips in a pack, they will be fine for taking the kids fishing. You will be able to elasticate the top 2 or even 3 sections, have a word with your local tackle dealer he will sell you the bits should cost £5 or 6 and advise you how to do it. When you use the pole at 8mtrs make sure the last (biggest) section is behind you, this will balance the pole better and make it easier to use. The 3 pole rigs in the pack make sure you re build themas they are cr*p quality and have barbed hooks. If you get stuck post again on here nd i'll see if I can help. I'm only just up the road from you.

Just one big fish, PLEASE!!!!!!

Regards Ady

I'm no expert but from what you say you have a whip rather than a pole. A whip just has a small ring on the end to attach the line direct, it doesn't use elastic so is only suitable for smaller fish.

If your catching 6" fish it should do fine.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Hi Andy forgot that bit lol,i,m fishing the leeds liverpool canal m8.

Sportsman,Aldi have it as a pole,but from what i,m told it,s the same as the older type ones that came with an eye,approx 10/12 years ago.

Hi IanBass shows what i know then,coz i thought they looked good must admit did not notice the barbed hook,if your not far from here and have fished this area at all what size of fish could i expect to catch,aparts from these tiddles i,ve been catching.

Regards Ady

Hi Andy forgot that bit lol,i,m fishing the leeds liverpool canal m8.

Sportsman,Aldi have it as a pole,but from what i,m told it,s the same as the older type ones that came with an eye,approx 10/12 years ago.

Hi IanBass shows what i know then,coz i thought they looked good must admit did not notice the barbed hook,if your not far from here and have fished this area at all what size of fish could i expect to catch,aparts from these tiddles i,ve been catching.

Regards Ady

Adrian,

Although I lived and worked over there for 4 years from 1987 I never did any fishing at that time. I was (and still am) a sea fishermen but now do a bit of both. It looks like your doing ok on the canal. You could try some of the commercials over that way or there has been some good articles about catching carp in canals in 'Improve Your Course Fishing' recently.

If that pole has a little ring at the end it can be cut back and elasticated. Its not hard to do but get some advice before you tackle(excuse the pun) it. I still fish the leeds/liverpool but at Burscough. Maggots/pinkies usually work for me and bread punch when it gets cooler. The pole rigs, I would suggest using 2lb main line with 1lb 8oz hook length 20 hook would be fine. If you get stuck with anything send me a PM I can only try and sort it out. DONT get disheartened with it.

Sorry dudes,one more question,i will be changing the pole to a elastic set up so will probabley be losing half of the last section,so does anybody know what weight of fish this pole will handle.

Regards Ady.

Hi Ady,

The pole should handle fish to 8lb easily so a number 8 or 10 elastic will be fine. Your tackle dealer will talk you through elasticating the pole. Take your time, youll be fine