Help On The Thames. Fishing in Central London?

Julian

[admin note: the original questioner is long gone since this is a 2005 topic. However, it is being asked again so the original material left since it still pertains. Newt]

Hi all, can anybody help with this visitors question to the forum?

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I'm spending a week in London at the end of November and I was wondering if it was possible for me to fish there a little bit if I took my spinning rod with me. The Thames is a big river and there should be lots of fish, right? So, do I have to buy a fishing permit (where? how?) and can I throw the lure into the water any place I like? Are there any good fishing places in central London (I'd go lure-fishing)?

I'm from Estonia, so I know nothing about fishing in England.

I'd be very grateful, if you could give me some advice.

All the best, Marius

----------------------------------------------------------

Many Thanks, Julian.

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Of course you will need a uk fishng licence available from post offices for day, week, or full year, The thames is a bit daunting for fishing and a better bet would be to fish the regents canal wchich runs through to east london. I have fished the streach at Hackney in east london and it is good for roach perch carp and tench. In terms of lure fishing there are a few pike in the canal. Apart from your licence most of the canal these days is free to fish. just take home your litter and put back any fish you catch and you will be fine.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Marius,

You must buy an 8 day licence to fish for coarse fish and non migratory trout from any UK post office. Cost £8.50

There's loads of fish in the Thames, but as pointed out its a bit daunting unless you have the time to figure out the best places to fish. The river in central London is wide, fast flowing and muddy. Also the fish tend to be non predatory bottom feeders like carp and bream and would not be suitable for spinning.

If you want to spin fish the thames for pike, perch and chub then you would do a lot better getting on the train to somewhere upstream like Hampton Court or Windsor. Hampton Court, where you have public access to the river is free, as is all of the thames fishing up to Staines. Windsor will be a club water but with day tickets available for a few pounds and you need to check in advance. Heres the online Thames fishing guide published by the Environment Agency who have responsibility for most aspects of the river.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/regio...rsion=1&lang=_e

If you register yourself on Anglers Net then you can contact me off-line and I'll help you with more information.

Gerry

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• 1 year later...
Of course you will need a uk fishng licence available from post offices for day, week, or full year, The thames is a bit daunting for fishing and a better bet would be to fish the regents canal wchich runs through to east london. I have fished the streach at Hackney in east london and it is good for roach perch carp and tench.

What tactics / bait do you suggest ?

I was planning to try the Grand Union canal up by Ladbrooke Grove (as the closest safest place)

Tony

Tony

What tactics / bait do you suggest ?

I was planning to try the Grand Union canal up by Ladbrooke Grove (as the closest safest place)

Tony

To be honest i have not fished it for years and never in the winter. it runs past my office window and as i look out i can see that it is in good nick. with all the rain we have had rivers are the colour of cafe au lait but the canal today only has a ting of colour in it. might be good for a bit of spinning

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

You two look at the topic starting date 14 months ago he will be long gone by now

Edited by Newt

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

You two look at the topic starting date 14 months ago he will be long gone by now

My post wasn't directed at Julian but was on the same topic so I placed it here rather than me starting a new thread so others people searching for the same information can find it without dancing around.

Can anyone suggest suitable points in Central London to fish either the canal or the Thames ?

Tony

Tony

This is all 10 year old info so you might want to do a bit more research but...

When I lived in Fulham I used to fish the Thames off the small pier at the end of Cremorne Gardens. It's down near Chelsea Harbour at the bottom end of Lots Rd where it meets Cheyne Walk - where the houseboats are moored.

I fished really heavy gear (all I had at the time) - 2.25 test rod, 15lb main line, 8lb hooklink to a size 8 hook, with a heavy maggot feeder. It was more like sea fishing really, especially the pier bit, and I expected to catch nothing. However, despite the total lack of finesse, I regularly caught good bags of fat roach and dace, bream to 3lb and a lot of small eels. Used to get down there on the rising tide and fish closer in as the level rose until basically fishing under the rod tip. Sport would die as soon as high tide was reached. You'll probably need a dropnet if you fish fine as even at high tide the pier is a good way off the water.

A lot of people used to fish the inlet just upstream at the back of the old power(?) station. This held some carp too at the top end but I bet that there's no access to it anymore with all the development over the past ten years. Might be worth a recce though.

Although I've not actually fished it, the River Wandle as it comes through Wandsworth to the Thames apparently holds a good head of silvers, chub and some barbel even. Just before it meets the Thames there are some interesting nooks and crannies, little quiet spots that I've thought looked good. It's all a bit industrial down there but this is Central London!

Hope this helps/inspires rather than puts you off.

Cheers,

Stu

• 5 years later...

Hi,

I have tried to find some information about fishing in Grand Union Canal, from Alperton to Paddington, and discovered your posts.

I have never fished in the canal before but I would like to target perch and pike on light spinning. I have seen few small dead perches in the water so I know the fish is there. I have never seen pikes though.

I remember once someone float fishing near Wormwood Scrubs but never seen anyone spinning in the canal. Does anyone have any past experience with fishing and particularly spinning in that particular place? Any ideas and tips?

Regards,

Luke

Hi,

I have tried to find some information about fishing in Grand Union Canal, from Alperton to Paddington, and discovered your posts.

I have never fished in the canal before but I would like to target perch and pike on light spinning. I have seen few small dead perches in the water so I know the fish is there. I have never seen pikes though.

I remember once someone float fishing near Wormwood Scrubs but never seen anyone spinning in the canal. Does anyone have any past experience with fishing and particularly spinning in that particular place? Any ideas and tips?

Regards,

Luke

Luke have aook at the Thames Anglers Conservancy forum there will be folks on there that can help you out with the4 info you seek Steve

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: