Getting Rid Of Old Maggots

The Flying Tench

Guest Brumagem Phil

Not got a neighbour with a pond?

If not then how about just taking them and feeding the fish with em when you take the kids to feed the ducks perhaps?

Cracking thread really...........we've all been waffling on for days about what do do with a few hundred unwanted maggots!!!! Its actually sooo sad, i'm about to reach for my cheque book and write out a cheque.........surely there is a maggot sanctuary and rescue centre somewhere I can donate to??

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me, I'm most of the way down a bottle of wine!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, you're a genius! That's it, the answer to my current unemployment problem......

Listen up all, I'm starting a maggot sanctuary. This is how it works. You send me your unwanted maggots with a donation. Your maggots will have their own piece of offal in quiet comfortable surroundings and I'll post their picture on a website for you to see. On their birthdays they get a little cake made of steak tartare. They'll write you an email every month.

Nor have I forgotten the flyfishers. For those not fortunate enough to have had their own maggots in the first place, I'm starting an Adopt a Maggot scam err scheme. Runs similar to the above.

Of course there will be a maggot vet on 24hr call, likewise fully qualified maggot carers for the very old ones. And when their time comes, as it must you know, you will have the usual options made available to you.

Naturally the whole venture will be under the auspices of PACE (or something similar which I can dream up myself quite easily) and there will be no more talk of cryogenics, blenders, fizzy drink bottles or the like.

So there you have it - buy your maggots and enjoy piece of mind.

Habilis the Maggotman

Remember - A maggot isn't just for Christmas, it's for a very short life

Accepting there are different views on the safety of feeding the birds, what are the other options if your wife is not keen on them going in the fridge or freezer? Presumably if you just put them in a polybag in the dustbin they'll probably die in th is cold weather? Otherwise, no-one's answered the point about killing casters by drowning. I don't think it works killing maggots this way, but someone told me that when you're fishing with casters (which I only do occasionally) you should immerse them because that kills them and stops them darkening. In other words it kills them quickly. So isn't that a fairly easy answer?

John

The only reason for puting casters in water is to find the floaters ie the darker ones, these can be very effective hook bait.

I dont know if suberging them kills them, possibly not, considering that in a natural state they would have little oxygen available in a rotting carcass!!

Are your concerns abut desposing of maggots centered around the welfare of them? If it is not I believe scalding water would be a quick solution.

Alternativly. I would be pleased to give them sanctuary in the back of my van, it's the nearest thing to maggot Nirvana I suspect :)

If you don't want to give the birds food poisoning, you could always lightly fry your maggots in a little extra virgin olive oil for 2-3 minutes before serving on a bed of lightly toasted breadcrumbs... :blink:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

.... someone told me that when you're fishing with casters (which I only do occasionally) you should immerse them because that kills them and stops them darkening.....

I thought it just kept them cool, to slow down "turning" ?

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

I thought it just kept them cool, to slow down "turning" ?

Keeps them cool and deprives them of oxygen, thus slowing down the metamorphosis into a fly. If you kill them, they go off, and I don't know about the fish, but I'm not keen on smelly casters. ;)

Are your concerns abut desposing of maggots centered around the welfare of them? If it is not I believe scalding water would be a quick solution.

No, I'm not concerned for maggot welfare. I just want an easy way to get rid of the maggots! Hot water is a bit messy, but admittedly it's a solution. Maybe that's what I'll go for after all!

Nor have I forgotten the flyfishers. For those not fortunate enough to have had their own maggots in the first place, I'm starting an Adopt a Maggot scam err scheme. Runs similar to the above.

Habilis the Maggotman

Habilis, this is good stuff. I wish I had time and money to waste and I'd send thousands of letters out to fly fisherman advertising your scheme!

john clarke

just lob them in the bushes! they will either get eaten or turn into flys!

always done this and never seen a drop in bird life or swarms of flys!.

u think we have run out of things to talk about?