Circle Hooks.

Guest @AUTUMN@

<_< Read with interest your views on 'Circle hooks'. My experience is not good, dificult to bait with whole squid, imposible with worm, and the hook up ratio is poor? OK, I'm ready to be conviced, they do seem to do well in the hands of some anglers. One of my boat partners was using a 'semi circle' at the week end, I was impressed with his hook up rate and no deep hooks! He had not got the packet with him!!**!!**.

However, they were a destinctve red in colour, and looked like a '?' in shape, eye on the dot, and baited easily. Any one got any ideas? :) Thanks

Sounds like it might be a Daiichi Bleeding Bait circle. Never seen them in the UK but they 're popular with USA saltwater fluff chuckers. I have some Daiichi trebles on japanese lures and the noticeable thing about Daiichi hooks are that they are extraordinarily sharp.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the advantages of circle hooks?

For me, three main advantages.

As already noted, they will almost always give you a good lip hook even if the rig was originally swallowed deep. Very easy then to unhook the fish quickly. Especially nice if you plan to release some of your fish.

Hookset just requires a steady pull rather than any sort of major striking effort. You pull, the fish pulls, no matter.

When I hook a fish, it stays hooked until I release it. Very, very rare to lose a fish once you have it on unless you have a break-off or something.

Re: the Daiichi brand - they are excellent hooks but I've tried them and they aren't worth double the price of the others. I do like the red ones but the other hook makers also offer that color.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

<_< Read with interest your views on 'Circle hooks'. My experience is not good, dificult to bait with whole squid, imposible with worm, and the hook up ratio is poor? OK, I'm ready to be conviced, they do seem to do well in the hands of some anglers. One of my boat partners was using a 'semi circle' at the week end, I was impressed with his hook up rate and no deep hooks! He had not got the packet with him!!**!!**.

However, they were a destinctve red in colour, and looked like a '?' in shape, eye on the dot, and baited easily. Any one got any ideas? :) Thanks

Mike at UK hooks has some VMC red vanadium hooks like that. Bait holder slices on the shanks too.

Not really circles but close to the ? shape you describe.

Mike at UK hooks has some VMC red vanadium hooks like that. Bait holder slices on the shanks too.

Not really circles but close to the ? shape you describe.

Thanks, been in touch with UK Hooks, samples coming. . . . Had a bad day today, I realy dont know why I am dong this! ther's not a lot of point???

Do you get increased hook ups or similer or worse?

▲ ▲ ▲ ▲

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So what would the advantage be of using a circle hook for say cod fishing over rough ground? I can see that they have their place from the boat and for fish such as mullet but due to the size of a cods mouth ould a circle hook stil work the same?

I hope so, I just bought some for next weekends Cod fishing. :blink::blink:

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

So what would the advantage be of using a circle hook for say cod fishing over rough ground? I can see that they have their place from the boat and for fish such as mullet but due to the size of a cods mouth ould a circle hook stil work the same?

:D Because of their shape they are less likely to snag the ground as the point is curved inwards. I've had a shark of 150lb plus from the shore on a 6/0 circle after having 3 250lb steel traces bitten through on J's.. :rolleyes: