Pretty Pretty Paul Young

Casey

The one I least enjoy is the 'antiques' expert, forget his name, ............. Chris someting or another!

That would be Chris Sandford probably.

He's actually an actor as well. ..................

It's also been mentioned by more than one fly fisher I know, that he's the best fluff chucker they've ever seen.

But can he really do it, or is he just acting? :rolleyes:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was in Coronation Street a few years back ;) I like Paul's series and he may be the best fluff chucker in the bizz but dont tell me he's conversationally interesting. :D

Peter, the guy's name is Sandford, I quite like the man, comes across as one of the most genuine blokes in fishing. ;)

He was in Coronation Street a few years back ;) I like Paul's series and he may be the best fluff chucker in the bizz but dont tell me he's conversationally interesting. :D

Peter, the guy's name is Sandford, I quite like the man, comes across as one of the most genuine blokes in fishing. ;)

Sorry ayjay, beat me to it. :P

He's actually an actor as well. He turned up in (I think) Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) when Reeves & Mortimer remade it.

It's also been mentioned more than one fly fisher I know, that he's the best fluff chucker they've ever seen.

According to one of the saddo's I work with, but is saved from disgrace by being an angler, he was an erstwhile member of the cast of Emmerdale - where the audience were punished for watching it by hearing him sing.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

I first saw Paul Young as an angling presenter many years ago in a series called Hooked on Scotland.He was simply an actor who went fishing.What he was like as an actor I didnt and in fact dont know but he was a rather inexperienced but keen angler.His knowledge of all other than game fishing was non existant.Even his game fishing especially his casting was very poor.Over the years though you can see that he has kept his keeness without becoming a "know it all",his fishing knowledge and practical skills have also grown imensely.just compare his casting then and now. He is one of the few TV Anglers I havnt met so can not pass comment on him in person but I think he comes over fine on TV.Fair play on him for improving his skills,catching a lot of fine fish AND most importantly enjoying it! Another case of "knock the known angler" me thinks.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie

:rolleyes:

Would you prefer a small comment on Jimmy Winstanley who lives around the corner from me, he's got a terrible stammer and...... :P

Certainly not in my case..... perhaps a little envy, Budgie! I'd give my right hand to fish some of the places he's presented from! Which rather defeats the object, I suppose!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

No not realy as I know him even less than I know Paul Young and therefore havnt realy any right to make comment...

Not getting directly at you Casey but this whole buisness of knocking known anglers (when you dont actualy know them) really gets on my wick.Too much of it in angling at a time when we should be trying to unite our sport.The mere fact that there is any TV coverage of our sport is good enough for me.

Ive been involved in the filming of various angling TV,vidio/DVD programmes and can tell you these guys (like em or not) have to work long and hard to get 30 mins (average time for a JW programme is three days filming) of watchable (and remember this is by all the viewers not just anglers) programme. It costs a fortune to have a film crew for a day and the pressure is really on for the angler (and his guide!) to catch in what is often far from ideal conditions.

Hardest thing for both the presenter and producer though is to make a programme that the people paying for it will deem suitable for a wide audience.

As an angler Im not so keen on the way some come over.as some one who has actually met a lot of these anglers there has been some Ive not particularly liked either but at least this has been based on a bit more than watching a few minutes on the box.Also doesnt detract from the job they do presenting angling to the masses.

Sorry this is all a bit heavy really Casey as I suppose you were only presenting your view in a light hearted way but surely you must agree that this does seem to be a current trend?

Certainly not in my case..... perhaps a little envy, Budgie! I'd give my right hand to fish some of the places he's presented from! Which rather defeats the object, I suppose!

I thought you had Alan...or part of it any way!

:D:P

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You're quite right Budgie and my respect to you, yes , it was a light hearted comment, i do think there is a lot of knocking the likes of Des Taylor which to me does go overboard for his views and opinions. :(

good job he doesnt stammer. :D

Edited by Casey

You're quite right Budgie and my respect to you, yes , it was a light hearted comment, i do think there is a lot of knocking the likes of Des Taylor which to me does go overboard for his views and opinions. :(

good job he doesn't stammer. :D

I actually quite enjoy PY's programs. I like the way he is enthusiastic about any game fishing program and isn't at all over bearing. His non- fly fishing programs are a bit of a struggle to watch as he always looks like a fish out of water. He is a right hand wind reel type of fly fisher and always looks awkward with any other fishing tackle.

That Chris Sandford is truly awful, hopefully he won't get another series. Not only is he a crap angler, but he would have been too oily and cheesy for the Saturday evening ITV slot in the 70's!

Dean Macey's new show is quite good, he's a genuine enthusiast who doesn't overpower the people he's fishing with. I enjoyed Day Ticket too. The two guys on there seemed to have the right attitude. Even Matt Hayes is slowly getting better! He's eventually learning to let the fishing do the talking and keep his verbal diarrhoea under control to some extent. Mick Brown seems to have helped calm him down. I would have liked to have seem "Botham on the fly" but I missed most of them. I'm sure they'll be on again though!

Tim

Tim kelly

That Chris Sandford is truly awful, hopefully he won't get another series. Not only is he a crap angler, but he would have been too oily and cheesy for the Saturday evening ITV slot in the 70's!

I see what you mean Budgie. :rolleyes: