Fishing Hat

Melvin

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally I wear a baseball cap because it simply shades the eyes and it stays pinned to your Barnet in a storm but I have been known to wear the odd garish variety. This one gets me every time. Total strangers approach and say,

"Alright Andrew....caught anything?"

I always fall for this and ask if they know my face from AN or something stupid, forgetting that my name is clearly labelled across my dome.....doh!!

Andywitha20Lb6oz01.jpg

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Last I heard of my hat was a call from Dunk on my mobile.

He'd discovered it where I'd left it hanging, when I was attempting to unclip a lure in gathering darkness.

Apparently several spiders much appreciated it as a temporary home.

I ain't been fishing since. Waste of time without the hat!!

Dunk...............

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I also have a balaclava, but everytime I take it on the bank there are people around and I don't have the balls to wear it....

ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH.................a self-confessed tackle-tart!!

As long as everything functions, who cares what you look like for gawd sake?

I'd rather be happy in a warm balaclava than unhappy whilst looking 'cool' on the bank. Sort it out mate. It's fishing, not the latest fasion parade by Dolce and Gabbana.... <_<

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Let's face it fellas, when you go fishing are you going to make a fashion statement?

The wife cringes when she sees some of the gear I class as "fishing clothes" - long johns, big socks,combat trousers - they're sooo yesterday!

I wear what I feel comfortable in. If you're comfortable it helps a great deal in your fishing.

A wooly hat to keep the warmth in on cold days or a baseball hat to keep the sun out of my eyes on bright days. stoped wearing my felt hat long ago as I kept getting mistaken for Des Taylor!

I'm with you all the way BUDGIE. I fish a couple of canals where the sun starts in your face on the left, straight ahead, then in your face on the right. Baseball hat has to be a permenent fixture, added thinsulate when it's cold.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Dear All,

Amongst all the trappings that an angler possesses, surely ones collection of fishing hats takes pride of place above all else? Indeed, could civilised anglers seriously embark upon their watery adventures without wearing a hat suitable for the days sport ahead? Such hatless abstinence might be akin to going shopping at Sainsbury's butt naked save for wearing shoes and socks. It’s unthinkable.

I have many splendid fishing hats, all suited for individual outings of a piscatorial nature.

Endless flat caps made from compulsory made materials such as Yorkshire tweed, Derbyshire tweed, Galway tweed, Tweed tweed, etc. Some of these caps have neatly arranged selections of trout and salmon flies displayed upon them but they are for show only. I originally intended to use said flies but once out in the field I found I'd miss the rise completely as it took so long to prise the nasty little fellows from the caps briar like material.

I also have woolly offerings in abundance. Many that Aunty Pearl and Nana’s knitted in various bright colours that sadly entered the automatic washing machine being spewed out as either skull caps or head gowns. Perhaps the most thermal of my woollen headwear are the “Thinsulate” models. However, a lot of these show signs of their thermal “innards” collapsing to one side giving the impression I have some dreadful complaint of the skull bones. I call this woolly hat side effect “duvet disease” as its remarkably similar to what happens to bed duvets at the onset of winter when ones wife drags every vestige of thermal material inside the duvet to her side of the bed.

Pork pie hats, trilbies, deer stalkers, Malvern’s, orvis folding felts, base ball caps most of which have fishes heads sticking out the front and their tails sticking out the back. Kiss me quick hats, Who The Hells Steve Pope hats, one bowler hat, one World War 1 tin helmet with “genuine” bullet holes , (Dad found it in his garden by accident with his fork actually) one World War 2 German storm troopers helmet painted pink. Three assorted gas masks, one Cheyenne war bonnet, one turban with snake belt and SAS style beret with “Who Cares Anyway” across its front.

Now days though, I’ve settled on a genuine Australian “Kakadu” drovers hat. Made of leather it’s one that Ned Kelly would have gone to his own hanging in as it’s so posh. Its 100% water proof as I’ve coated it in goose fat. Whiff’s a bit in the warmer weather but my word doesn’t it half keep those mosquitos away.

Regards,

Lee.

A silk balaclava for extreme winter conditions, three or four different ratting caps, a couple of woolly jobs, (sans bobbles), a double skin fleece hat, similar to the woolly jobs but much warmer, a white floppy for really hot weather and a green bush hat for any other occasion, can't wear baseball caps cos I can't find one with the peak at the front, all the ones I 've looked at have the peak at the back.

I'm very rarely outside without a hat.

look for a hat on ; http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp;jsessionid...requestid=16403

you find there a lot of fishing hats

i think that a hat has to do 2 things

1 keep the sun away

2 keeps the rain form my glasses and face

gr jerry

And as finishing touch

god created the dutch