What Scales Shall I Buy?

Guest Josh Iddon

Hi, I need a new set of scales for a quite low price (very max £30).Could I buy scales that say weigh up to 40 lb and still be able to weigh small fish of around 2 lb accurately?. This is because I cant afford loads of sets of scales. I have seen a type called avon scales (I think!) lots on TV weighing lots of different sized fish. Do you know how much these are? and were I can buy these? and are they good?

cheers, josh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be no problem with weighing small fish on Avon scales. I've used them in the past and they proved to weigh accurately plus they were nice and robust. The only downside was that the corners had sharp edges and tore my jacket pocket. This may now have been sorted, but in any event you can buy a case for them.

I've just bought the Rapala digital scales off eBay for a little over £20. I don't know how good they are yet as I haven't used them. However, the Rapala name gives me confidence.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Hi, have you used them for small species?

Yes, and with no problems. Like you I don't want to carry more than 1 different set of scales. And of course when you're perch fishing for instance you just might catch a monster pike....

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I bought a set of weymaster scales recently for about £26 and they seem very good and less easy to misread than Avons. I've weighed a 4lb perch very accurately and a 27lb pike with them since getting them and they seemed to do a good job at both ends of the range. They replaced a set of digital scales which I lost confidence in as they sometimes gave obviously wrong readings.

Tim

Hows about some of THESE

Never used them so can`t comment on their accuracy etc but I`m sure they`re the ones a certain John Wilson uses and if they`re good enough for him........

Well within budget as well :D

i use avons as well as a big set of nash scales both of theese seem very accurate reading the same as each other from 2lb up to over 30lb. but if your on a budget the waymaster scales are very accurate and also very light and also very easy to read and adjust.