It's colour

It's placement

It's presentation

It's behaviour

....and of course, YOUR confidence.

I agree with Gaffer

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

I don't know whether shape covers this. But size can make a great difference, especially in Winter.

One thing i would say is that im sure carp have a extremely sensitive sense of taste (they taste the water more, than smell it i think). when i say sensitive i mean in the order of thousands times as sensitive than the human taste sense. I read about it in a scientific textbook recently, i forgot exactly how strong, but i might go have another look and see.

im sure they can taste your human taint on the bait at times, often rub vanilla extract into my hands prior to going fishing to mask the taint.

dave.

Are taste and smell the same thing to a fish?

I think they are different, because two separate systems are used. In one case foodstuffs are 'tasted' via physical contact using barbules & taste receptors located inside & outside the mouth, On the other fin water is passed through the nasal tube & assessed on its way through which seems to equate to our sense of smell.

The mineral/chemical consituency of a bait may make it more attractive as well. I wish I could remember where I read it, but someone had found that fish had receptors within the mouth that reacted to that particular makeup of a potential food.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

I think they are different, because two separate systems are used. In one case foodstuffs are 'tasted' via physical contact using barbules & taste receptors located inside & outside the mouth, On the other fin water is passed through the nasal tube & assessed on its way through which seems to equate to our sense of smell.

The mineral/chemical consituency of a bait may make it more attractive as well. I wish I could remember where I read it, but someone had found that fish had receptors within the mouth that reacted to that particular makeup of a potential food.

In summer i dont think it matters as i am sure carp eat that greedily they don't get a chance to taste anything,in winter i think taste,smell the way it looks are more important as its a question of "is it worth it or not" or "am i hungry or not".Dropping a bait on a fish's nose is also a big help. B)

atb

malc

atb

malc

There are many ways carp are atracted to bait,they can tell what colour your bait is by hearing the sound it makes with thier olfactory sence :)

They can also tell what salinity level (salt content) is in the water its in and needs to adjust its own salinty level to be higher than the water its in so can also sence the PH our baits give off :)

I make my own base mix from scratch and have not changed the recipe for the whole year,but i have changed the oils i add eg one w/e i had salmon oil in and caught well next w/e i tried the tuna flavoured? oil out of a tin of tuna and caught well,not realy tested fully but i believe its the base mix its self which they are attracted too,a lot of flavours catch the anglers using them IMO.