Teflon Coated Hooks?

Guest Josh Iddon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any views???

I use (amongst other hooks) nickel teflon Eagle Claw circles (NT2050F). Not sure how much teflon contributes to their success but I do like the dull finish. Truthfully it would be hard to say whether a particular coating makes a (significant )difference to results.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I can't see them making any difference whatsoever, if the point is sharp (which it should always be) the hook will have no problems at all in penetrating the skin. Just another ploy to catch more anglers imo. After all, you're not going to fry eggs on them are you? :rolleyes:;)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I think I agree with you John "its to catch the angler" just like the latest boilies ect. Ive caught alot of carp,bream and tench on my favorite muggas and korda longshanks.

What kind of carp can see a hok that close??

- Generally you are using a small hook whihc is hard to see

- They wil be hard to distguie agaist most bottoms, anyway

- Many venues the light levels are poor below around 2/3 foot anyway, so how cna they reflect light?

I would be concerned to use them if fishing somewhere where the fish are really clued up. But I think that it takes away the fact that you still need your bait presented where the carp are preapred to take it. If its in the right place and they are confidently feeding, its not an issue anyway.

Nige

Whatever floats your boat...

See how I float mine, here

Like most of you seem to think the coated hooks that are available are not required and are more of a gimmick i think. However I dont fish any gin clear waters but if I did and i wasn't getting any runs on my trusty drennan super specs I would think about using teflon coated hooks then as they may make a difference in gin clear waters. The barbel anglers are using them now and they swear it makes a difference on the rivers in the summer months when the rivers are predominantly clear waters. It pays to keep an eye on other specimen hunters tactics I think particularly the Barbel anglers as the Barbel are becoming as pressured as many of the carp we fish for and thus the anglers that fish for them are changing their tactics to keep catching. Most Barbel anglers are using the same techniques as carp anglers anyway these days. So keep an eye on the what the Barbel boys are doing! B)

The barbel anglers are using them now and they swear it makes a difference on the rivers ....... So keep an eye on the what the Barbel boys are doing! B)

Bit of a sweeping statement that mate! Know all the barbel anglers then do ya?

One thing that needs to be remembered: If any of you guys resharpen your hooks, you can't effectively do this with teflon coated hooks!

;)

Because such an answer really means nothing mate!

Its like saying pike anglers use lives so keep an eye on what the pikers are doing, some do but possibly most dont!

Or carp anglers use long shank hooks so keep an eye on what the carpers are doing, some do, but the majority don't!