A Game Of Two Halves!

Dick Dastardly

Ebb tide at Marston Lake ;)

marston002.jpg

(and last summer a bunch of us watched Van Morrison and Friends at a picnic concert from the grounds of the house in the distance )

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

It seems to have switched off down my way too, except for the occasional suicidal chub. I'm out for a lure bash tomorrow and Friday and I'll be pre-baiting 2/3 swims for the weekend. Then I'm out on sunday for a bit of static four rod bait fishing just to see if I can change my luck. Had one decent fish at 22.5 when summer was just about over and thats been it.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

It seems to have switched off down my way too, except for the occasional suicidal chub. I'm out for a lure bash tomorrow and Friday and I'll be pre-baiting 2/3 swims for the weekend. Then I'm out on sunday for a bit of static four rod bait fishing just to see if I can change my luck. Had one decent fish at 22.5 when summer was just about over and thats been it.

You want to get out with that Bettle fella Gerry I gather he's very good.

not doing to bad so far,not had as many blanks as last year and am up on numbers of fish,mostly jacks tho,5 doubles best 16.3 so far,not complaining tho plenty more to go at yet!

i'd say 90% of teh fish i am catching are quite plump definetly got there winter coats on :)

loving the earlier than last year cold weather.... :DB)

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

not doing to bad so far,not had as many blanks as last year and am up on numbers of fish,mostly jacks tho,5 doubles best 16.3 so far,not complaining tho plenty more to go at yet!

i'd say 90% of teh fish i am catching are quite plump definetly got there winter coats on :)

loving the earlier than last year cold weather.... :DB)

Russell, have you found that the crays have switched off in the cold weather ? Fished the Kennet a few days ago (musta bin mad :rolleyes: ) The usual pop pop pop on the rod tips wasn't quite so bad as it was in the summer.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Russell, have you found that the crays have switched off with the cold weather ? I fished the Kennet a few days ago (musta bin mad :rolleyes: ) The usual pop pop pop on the rod tips wasn't quite so bad as it was in the summer.

havent been down there to much gerry,been fen bound!

but,yes the crays! i dont pop my baits up mate leave them hard on teh bottom,using float i still get the movement of crays toying with the bait but tehy dont seem to be as active in the cold,in summer they can and will rip lives apart if near the bottom same with deads,but winter they seem to knip at the bait,doesnt bother me as im sure they scuttle of when a pike comes near the bait,i use a float leger with at least 2oz lead those egg sinkers are no good the crays give ya proper takes with them not with a lead tho! :)

also tough baits lamprey or trout are tops roach are a no no as the crays really like em!strangely i dont get to many probs with sea baits sardines mackrel etc,also i think a cray ripping bits off teh bait and opening up teh belly(they often do that) they are making a nice scent trail for me! :o:):P

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

its been a very strange start for me with no where near as many fish as last year but the quality of the fish has eclipsed last season, with far more doubles and hardly any jacks, and ive not blanked for 2 seasons.

The pike ive had so far have definatley been on the feed for some time, all of the better doubles looked like they have reached their top weights, perhaps as someone else suggested, do they know its gonna be a hard winter?

its been a very strange start for me with no where near as many fish as last year but the quality of the fish has eclipsed last season, with far more doubles and hardly any jacks, and ive not blanked for 2 seasons.

The pike ive had so far have definatley been on the feed for some time, all of the better doubles looked like they have reached their top weights, perhaps as someone else suggested, do they know its gonna be a hard winter?

Sounds like you could do with someone to assist it the netting of all your fish Zedhead !!!

I havent had any the last 2 morning session but hope to do better this weekend.

Anyone fished any night session with results ?

Edited by Melvin

For those of you who are PAC members, and have read their latest copy of Pikelines, there is an interesting letter from Watto, John Watson, regarding the changing face of some of our popular pike venues. Watto highlights the Rive Yare as an example. Got to say that, especially where the Yare is concerned, I endorse everything that Watto has said. In a nutshell Watto is concerned at the antics of the 'circus' and the increasing pressure being put on 'named' waters. I mention this because there is no doubt that our piking is changing and, I wonder, is our piking in two halves, in terminal change, or, arguably terminal decline?

Dave,venue wise there are two reasons that split my season in two.The first being I dont have full acsess to the reservoir I fish untill the end of November and the second being that Im often limited to my local river fishing by floods after the new year. Because of these reasons I to tend to try any new waters early in the season and unless Im lucky also rarely get these sussed straight away.

Zedhead,I agree a lot of the fish I caught (up untill the recent decline in conditions) were seemingly up on their weights. I also agree that they can sense the onset of a period of poor conditions so feed up heavily in preperation.

Peter,I know youve mentioned it before but this year Ive really noticed the marked increase in numbers of people fishing for pike,

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!