Crayfish

Crackin Clax

There are millions of signal crayfish in my local river. I regularly see ash piles where people have been fishing and cooked and eaten them. I was just wondering whether they actally taste any good?

The Clax Will Always Crack

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Brumagem Phil

So what are they like steve? Prawns perhaps?

Also got any links to how one would prepare one as i'm sure not all of the bits are edible?

Whats the best way to catch em, a bit of meat on a piece of string?

Are there many in the Severn?

get a washing line string or a crab line and put a bit of bacon or summik on it...when u pull it out there is always on on it.... I think u can eaat all the meat in the tail i think

The Clax Will Always Crack

some recipes to make your mouth water

TO GRILL A LIVE CRAY

Chill in the freezer for 40 mins until it shows no signs of life.

Hold the body with a tea towel to shield your hands. Cut the body and tail lengthwise with a large, heavy, sharp knife. Remove the coral and set aside to enhance a sauce or to add to a bisque. Remove the intestinal tract.

Baste with some melted butter and olive oil and your favourite aromatic. It could be ginger, garlic and lime. Basil and lemon zest. Chopped herbs. Or some chilli and lobster oil.

Grill over a very gentle fire, shell side down, basting it at short intervals. Finish quickly on the flesh side. High heat will burn the shell and impart a very unpleasant aroma to the flesh.

TO DISSECT A COOKED CRAY

Insert a sharp knife where the tail meets the body and gently loosen it - set the tail aside.

Keep a bowl under it while you do this to catch the tasty juices.

Cut the body in half and remove the orange coral and set aside.

Gently remove the legs and any loose flesh. With a pair of kitchen scissors, cut away the shell from the tail (see photo). Cut the tail in half and remove the intestinal tract. Cut the cray meat into medallions and set aside with the legs for a salad.

Cray spring rolls

A delicious snack from the leftovers, great as a starter.

INGREDIENTS

12 small spring roll skins (available at Asian grocers)

100g cooked cray meat, cut into small pieces

30g each of finely sliced leek, ginger, carrot

1 tbsp each of sesame oil, light soy sauce

1 small crushed chilli

juice of one lime

salt and pepper

oil for deep-frying

METHOD

· Mix all the ingredients together except the spring roll skins and the oil, seasoning with salt and pepper, and leave to marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge. Drain by pressing the mixture into a conical sieve. Keep the juices to use as the dipping sauce.

· Distribute the mixture evenly between the spring roll skins and roll up (follow the instructions on the spring roll skins packet).

· Deep-fry rolls until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and serve with the dipping sauce

plain boiled crayfish

craw34.jpg

pop a dozen or so freash (alive) crayfish into boiling salted water for four to five minuets untill they turn pinkish red (scolded coloured)

snap off tails and claws and pick our the meat.

find even more tastefull recipes http://www.utahdiving.com/recipes.htm

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

There are millions of signal crayfish in my local river. I regularly see ash piles where people have been fishing and cooked and eaten them. I was just wondering whether they actally taste any good?

Crack Claws Crackin Clax :P