Breaking news from the government!!

bryan

Guest jay_con

the trawler men here have diversified into shellfish throughout the summer months. Theyre not using cobles, insted theyre shooting thousands of pots from the trawler. I bet it aint long before theres a shortage of shelfish. then all those cobblemen whoose families for generations have taken a living from subsatinable shellfish fisheries will be on the dole. just wait and see, and then remember who said it first.

Its no point defra notching shelfish and saying they cant be landed.the greedy beggers will just create another black market.

lets get this licence in place and get these greedy tw--s sorted out.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting thread ..

If this so-called "Sea Licence" also applies to beach/shore fishing, can I present you with a senario ?

Go to Mevagissey/Scarborough/Blackpool/Anywhere this weekend, and marvel at the spectacle of thousands of kids, and their parents, pinking off the harbour wall/pier/rock pools.

Then imagine the local "Water baliff" coming round and demanding £22 from each and every one of them ...

Stand back and watch the fun !!!

[ 03. August 2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: MrWiggly ]

The Older I get .. The better I was.

MrWiggly:

Then imagine the local "Water baliff" coming round and demanding £22 from each and every one of them ...

I'd suggest it would be impossible to cover every child and mackerel bashing holiday maker. And anyway for most children this is an introduction to fishing which should be encouraged not penalised.

However, I would still be in favour of licensing for charter boat anglers and match fisherman who must surely account for 90% of recreational fish taken out of the sea.

Also, as has already been noted, I think Leon should bear in mind the importance of the food chain. Fish gotta eat!

why does it worry me that the £22/head will only make £3 million a year...that is absolutely a miniscule amount considering the effect the uses it's supposed to be used for.

does that mean there only 135,000 sea anglers then?

don't get me wrong, i'd be happy to contribute £22/year if it was to go to something worthwhile, but i cant help feeling the paltry amount collected would be wasted in just collecting a few 1000 non payers or absorbed in new staff wages etc.

One thing that does worry me about it is that sea angling is done by day trippers and have a go's...would this not put people off.

Would it be worthwhile having a daily license of a £1 or so to enable daytrippers to still be able to by a £15 all in one telescopic and go for a fish off the local jetty with their kids?

How is it policed on land, if there are 3 off you and 3 rods, can you say that one of you is fishing with 3 rods?

I dont know how course fishing works, but i cant see how this wouldnt be just wasted money along the way. I get involved with government dept work, and although the budgets aren't huge, the amount of waste is really something.

Cranfield:

IF, the Government take some species, (like bass and mullet) from the Commercial quotas.

Enforce Commercial no go areas, around the coastline.

Stop illegal netting.

Then I would be happy to buy a Sea Fishing licence.

I'd add to that a programme for creating artificial reefs around the coast.

None of this is rocket science. It could all be done relatively easily if the political will was there!

MrWiggly:

I'd suggest it would be impossible to cover every child and mackerel bashing holiday maker. And anyway for most children this is an introduction to fishing which should be encouraged not penalised.

However, I would still be in favour of licensing for charter boat anglers and match fisherman who must surely account for 90% of recreational fish taken out of the sea.

Also, as has already been noted, I think Leon should bear in mind the importance of the food chain. Fish gotta eat!

i used to work s a commercial diver, along the south coast of the u.k. the amount of damage that trawler men do to he seabed, has to be seen to be belived. by far the worst were the guys that used to dredge for scollops. the dredges destroyed everything in their path.i had many heated disscussions with them about it, they would tear up the seabed one year,..and then complain the year after that there were no fish.of course `the forèigners`were always to blame!i came to the conclusion in the end that they were some of the thickest people on the planet. sorry about the rant, but if you could see what it looks like...sickening.

Guest jay_con

gonefishing:

why does it worry me that the £22/head will only make £3 million a year...that is absolutely a miniscule amount considering the effect the uses it's supposed to be used for.

does that mean there only 135,000 sea anglers then?

don't get me wrong, i'd be happy to contribute £22/year if it was to go to something worthwhile, but i cant help feeling the paltry amount collected would be wasted in just collecting a few 1000 non payers or absorbed in new staff wages etc.

One thing that does worry me about it is that sea angling is done by day trippers and have a go's...would this not put people off.

Would it be worthwhile having a daily license of a £1 or so to enable daytrippers to still be able to by a £15 all in one telescopic and go for a fish off the local jetty with their kids?

How is it policed on land, if there are 3 off you and 3 rods, can you say that one of you is fishing with 3 rods?

I dont know how course fishing works, but i cant see how this wouldnt be just wasted money along the way. I get involved with government dept work, and although the budgets aren't huge, the amount of waste is really something.