Breaking news from the government!!

bryan

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

with regard to the above quote. im not sure about coarse fishing but as for migratory species there are a set of rules and if you dont abide by them you get heavily fined, u can even go to jail (Iknow some who have), or i believe the toffs are proposing to have some of working class trout anglers shot.

now why cant the relevent agencies protect our interests like that

Slow down you load of MUPPETS!!!!!!

This is only a government proposal. To gauge the feeling of sea anglers.

I just hope no-one in power has read some of the postings on this thread.

Magna Carta, Magna Chartae. However you want to spell it. Was introduced into british law by a wastrel named Richard I. A man that spent this countries wealth fighting a personal crusade!!

It only affects us fishermen, insofar, that we can scrounge along the shoreline, between high and low water mark? (Anyone that had the audacity to kill one of the `Kings` deer, still got hung!).

I agree 100% with the folk that have pointed out the obvious. If you`ve paid for a license, then the licensing authority (ie the government), owes you a service.

Coarse anglers and game fishers have paid for years. What have they recieved in return?

Just look at the number of prosecutions against water polluters by the E.A. Waters all over the UK are being cleaned up and being re-stocked.

For my part, I can only think that a license is the only sensible way forward? If, we want our government to take sea anglers seriously, then we must be prepared to act as serious individuals.

A tad less of the "Why should we pay". And a little more of "We`ll pay. But you must give us a decent service". Would be nearer the mark?

How many of the "I don`t want to pay brigade", have paid fot a TV license. Then subscribed to SKY or a cable tv company. Only to watch BBC most of the time? Yet we all moan about a TV license, but pay much more for a service that we hardly use.

OK. If you pay out good money for something that you can`t hold in your hand or see. Then maybe folk would think it a waste of time. But if it slowly improved sea angling. Would you still consider it `Another of Gordon Browns stealth taxes`?

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Yakity - Yak:

Hi capn,

Couldnt agree more, like I said we all need to look at the fish enviourment, do something about that too.

We NEED artificial reefs, and so do the fish.

The food chain would definately benefit from the reefs too.

we need lots of them, and quick.

they are starting here to constuct artificial reefs with old tyres linked together with chains. apparently in a very short time the artificial reefs are colonised. what do they do in the u.k with old tyres?has this been tried at all anywhere?it seems like a very good idea, to create something so usefull, out of something that would otherwise be junked.  :)  

YY

i spent the afternoon on the harbour wall at bridlington today, making a piece for the local ITV 6 oclock news program (calendar) about the proposals (a very nice way to spend a day working ) every angler was of the opinion 'why should i pay?' and when i suggested the money could perhaps be put to good use, they shrugged and said they still wouldnt pay, while still moaning about lack of fish and pressure from trawlers etc.

if these proposals happen, we have to make sure the money is used wisely, simple as that.

The "policing" of a sea licence, would be the same as a freshwater licence (or a TV licence, or car tax etc).

There would be initial publicity, dire threats for not having one, then very little policing, with a few token prosecutions.

The Government rely on the law abiding majority to comply with the rules, (whatever they are).

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Most of the things that people are wondering about are in the Marine Enforcement Review here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...onsultation.pdf

All anglers had the opportunity to respond to the consultation leading up to publication of the review, everyone now has until September to respond to the proposals (they won't be taking account of comments made on internet forums, you need to read the review document then send them your response)

SACN stance here:

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=137

TL - leon

[ 03. August 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust