Luck Favours The Brave?

geffaz

The scallop dredges are the worst things for the sea bed - Dad knew that back in the 50s but nothing has been done about it. In Brazil they are farming scallops in a big way, but not in big farms - lots and lots of small, family units. Sensible. The damage done by heavy trawling gear takes DECADES to recolonise. The invertebrates in the ground are destroyed and so there is no base for the pyramid to build upon. The very substance of the seabed is destroyed.

Our fisheries management is appalling, but it is down to a few who have manipulated the system to suit their own ends - and I think the ministry civil servants behind these plans get a back hander to implement such measures. I have no proof of course, it is just how it looks to me. Bent authorities? Never!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi bill, first of i want to wish you, your family and all the other yakkers a nice xmas!

i saw your comment earlier in the thread about artificial reefs, a good idea, we have them here and they seem to work really well.

they use here old car tyres which have a chain running through them, they are a problem to dispose of in other ways,but like this they are put to a good use.

we also have marine parks, where commercial fishing is banned.our nearest one is around an island,there is loads of life there, i have seen it when i dived there.(diving is allowed ,but no spearfishing or taking shellfish.fishing with rod is also allowed.)

further up the coast near valencia, there is a line of small islands where no fishing is allowed, i remember about 2 years ago 2 blokes got caught trying to snag and pull up coral, they got fined 2000€ each and were banned from fishing for 12 years!!! have it!!!!!

cheers mate, dave.

p.s 19c here in the shade today :lol::P:lol:

great stuff! but like has been said before with ar goverment! we will just talk put it on the back burner talk some more! then arfter lots of arguing and fiddle arsing around we might be in a position to do it when its to late!

Hiya Dave.

As always great to hear from you.....Merry Christmas to you and the family too my friend.

If only we could give our lot a kick up the sr$$e to get things done.

Found us a house and job yet ?? lol....lol.....lol

Another example of the reefs working.

Any idea how long they have been down Dave ?

How big are they ?

I suppose size dosnt matter ( huh tell the wife that :D )

Its 23 in the shade here.......mind you.....Im sat on a radiator :D:P .

Have a good one mate

Bill. :)

hiya bill, the last reef to be put down in this area was about a year ago, and it is being colonised by fish already apparently.

it was put down off the coast at moraira, north of calpe. it was put down as part of a memorial to the people that died in the madrid bombings, the tyres were put down in a huge bow shape, you know like the ribbon that people wear. From the cliff top you can see this huge black ribbon shape under water.

the people that organized it included the british sub aqua club that is based in moraira,they, along with other clubs had the full support of the town council and the regional government.

maybe you could approach the town council with the idea saying that an artificial reef would increase tourism and bring publicity to the town??

worth a go mate.

cheers dave. :)

great idea using a motiff like the ribbon! sort of gives it and edge and would gain publicity! perhaps even they could be funded by family members of lost loved ones!

if i copt it id love one to be put down for me! as i think alot of divers and anglers would!

perhaps even updates as to how the reef is taking on life? on request from the relatives!

certainly beats a grave stone!

or maybe sposored by companys that wont to encrease ther profile for being enviromentaly aware!

thats it im setting up a company called FUNERAL REEF! the ultimate memorial! could be a good little money spinner :rolleyes:

Edited by geffaz

the clever bit is that being a ribbon, its regarded as a memorial.

you would have to be be braindead to even think about going near it with a trawler.

there are any number of things that it could be put down to commemorate, the bombings in london for example.

if you got the right people interested, it would snowball,the thing is to involve everybody that would benifit, divers, anglers,scientists, publicity hungry local newspapers, etc etc......

dave.

Bill,

It would be worth contacting the tyre companies - they have to PAY to dispose of the used tyres (a levy on each new tyre) - which is why there is an environmental charge put on your tyre bill when you have some new ones.

As Dave says, what a brilliant way for Pirelli (in Burton-on-Trent) to gain National PR by sponsoring an artificial reef - it would cost them no more than disposing of the tyres any other way - in fact it would cost them less because they still have to pay the transport to the disposal depot - only PLUS the disposal fee.

Then there is Michelin in Stoke-on-Trent. Dunlop in Birmingham.........

Fling enough mud at the wall and some of it might stick!

Next problem: finding somewhere to put the thing.

1. West Wales could be a possibility as there is little shipping in Cardigan Bay.

2. Close in Lyme Bay could work - Slapton/Hallsands/Beesands.

3. Off Budleigh or Sidmouth.

4. North Cornwall - there is already the marine Nature Reserve of Lundy Island, so the idea is already planrted in that part of the World.

Can't think of anywhere else at the moment but hoefully that will spark some ideas for you all to come up with.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo