Luck Favours The Brave?

geffaz

Don't even think of Wales, first you would need planning permission from the local council, they would require an environmental impact study, then you would have the local trawlers objecting so you would need a public enquiry. This would require a study of how the tyres would affect the ecology in 300 years time due to the break down of the rubber and the possible polutants it contains. Then there are the COSHH regs and the Waste transport and disposal regs to consider.

Just say you got to the point where the council gave permission the locals would instantly have a protest group if even one tyre was to come from England.

Even more unlikely you would get over that and actually get a date to drop the tyres the National Assembly for Wales ( should read against not for ) would call the proposal in if it has any possible national publicity for them. This would then require further public enquires, a review of the ecological data in conjunction with the CCW ( Cymru Criminal Wasters ) and large benifits to the members of all organisations to stand even a snowballs chance in Hell of coming off.

Yes it is written tongue in cheek but I have experienced it first hand, believe me, save yourself some grief, don't have Wales on your list even though your idea is the best I have heard for a long time.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Simon.

Thanks for your valid and welcome points.

Infact thanks to all for your interest and input.

Chris,

After reading that, all I can say is, wouldnt give it a thought.:D

One of the first moves I thought Id try, would be to get our local Dive ferternity interested.

They could help a great deal by taking some pics of the bottom,for me to present to the council along with a letter.

A picture tells a thousand stories, as they say.

To show them the destruction via the pics may give more creedence to the issue, and muster some concern.

Spanner,

If you could get some more info on the tyre chemical thing, Id be greatfull.

Cheers all. :)

bill, i wonder if you could get somebody like the princes trust interested in this as an environmental issue?

how would greenpeace see the creation of artificial reefs?

ive never heard of tyres being a hazardous substance?what do they do with them otherwise, something far less usefull im sure!

perhaps english tyres are different from tyres in the rest of the world!

this isnt a new idea, there are tyre reefs all over the place.i really feel that if you could get the "right "publicity, that it would really work.

a good place would be that little cove on the east side of straight point bill!!!

(well within paddling range!)

best wishes dave. :)

The Wrasse would soon set up home round there - in the Straight Point cove I mean.

Environmentally there are more plusses than minuses. At the moment tyres are incinerated - there is a tyre fire in Canada that has been burning for at least 20 years.

Natural decomposition in the sea is less pollutig - for a small number of tyres like we are talking about. If it wasn't feasible these other marine areas would not have continued to do it. Just dumping 10,000 tonnes of tyres is not going to cut it - but a small reef made up of say 2000 tyres (year 2000 - get it) is not going to be sufficient to cause toxic pollution in the sea. Several sites with these things could be used as experimental stations for a few years and the local Wildlife Trusts and Dive Clubs could monitor the situation. You can't do damage where havoc has already been wreaked!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

That makes perfect sense as well :(

I'm sure I've read somewhere about some additives in the construction meaning it is not a good idea, but this is what I found while trawling:

From the fourth annual report of the UTWG (2000)

http://www.tyredisposal.co.uk/reports.asp

3.27 Since 1998, there has been an experimental tyre artificial reef structure in Poole Bay, to which the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPRSC) provided funding. The tyre modules are still in their original position and have colonised successfully with marine life. The University of Southampton’s School of Ocean and Earth Sciences is responsible for this reef, which has been put in place to study the biological and chemical effects of tyres in the sea. If the results of the continuing study are favourable, it may open up new applications for tyres, not only in artificial reefs but also for coastal defence uses, harbour walls, etc.

So maybe it is OK if done right :)

Methinks we need to contact University of Southampton and find out what has happened in the last 5yrs.

Edited by spanner

hi everybody, its an interesting debate,can i say though that its much easier to find reasons NOT to do something than it is to find ways to actually positive to help the marine environment.

we already have reefs made of tyres, as do countless other places, its not a new thing,

the reefs i have seen are held together,and held down, by chains, and have been about a metre in height.

they have had a large amount of life on them from small crustaceans up to biggish eels.

they do not shift about in bad weather,and its surely far more environmentaly friendly to use them as a reef than it is to burn them surely?

can i recount a story/joke that was told to me a little while ago by a belgian friend.

four germans, four spanish, four french and four english people where all stood together on a train platform waiting for a train....

the train pulls in..

the four germans check that its on time........and get on it.

the four spanish push and shove each other to be first on.....and get on it.

the four french make a great fuss insisting that "you go first no you "etc...and get on it.

the four english form a commitee to check that the train was constructed using the correct ethnic mix, and with materials that came from sustainable sources....and are electing a treasurer.......as the train pulls away without them.

please nobody think that i am trying to cause offence, as that is not me,but sometimes there are occasions when you have to just go on and DO IT!!!

best wishes dave(ex proffesional diver)

Hi All.

Lots of great info in these posts.

Habilis,

Hi and welcome.

See what you mean about the report.

I think the choice of site is quite important, affects of tide, depth of water, and method of joining the tyres together is a big part of success or failiure.

As has been said, this is not a new idea, and there have been sucessful reefs of this sort put down.

This is also in our favour, because we can use the experience thats gone before us.

Simon...Dave.

The site I had in mind was off the "Exeters"......the scallopers have ploughed most of the low laying reefs to nothing.

This particular area was a great place to fish years ago, but gone to pot now.

It would be a start anyway.

Interesting about the South-hampton uni, and good news too.

Will try and get in touch.

As for Greenpeace, they do some great work, but are a little radical, dont want em camping in my back yard.....:D

Dave....

Cracking joke, and how true it is :D:D;)

Will have a nosey around, and see what can be done, and who is interested.

YY :)

bill, i didnt say before, but the town manager that was, in exmouth ,until recently, is a long time friend of mine, shes here in spain at the moment and ive just had her and her husband around for a few beers.

i spoke to her about your idea, and i am going to have another chat with her tommorow or sunday.

she has indicated to me who would be the best people to approach, and maybe the best way of going about it. i will mail you when i have more info.

cheers mate dave.