Reel Up Or Reel Down

arthurcodsbody

So, do you still keep the same hand on the reel, and just hold the whole thing lower down? Just trying to picture it in my head, as have a rod with an extender for such a thing, and more comfortable/ further casting all sounds good!

Grant,

if your a right hander like me the reel will be about 6-8" from the bottom of the rod, your left thumb grips the spool and your right hand grips the rod. At first is feels cack handed and as if your right arm will snag the line but it doesnt, much less strain on your back I find though.

Shaun, if your looking for a slim movable reel seat get the 'TALON' reel seat, Stan Massey put one on my nemesis and it adds no extra thickness to the butt at all. Also its the recommended reel seat by Conoflex. If Stan reads this post he might be so kind as to post the pictures I sent him of it for his website. I am at work and dont have the pictures with me.

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reel down for distance or any type of pendulum cast but for winter codding always up the butt just for extra leverage!! The reel down is much easier to handle for pendulum casting and it slows the whole process up!! I seem t have no probs adjusting back and forward was fishing a fish off two weeks ago at distance for whiting went from cod fishing up the butt to down the butt and my rythm was still their!!

Quyote Matt: Shaun, if your looking for a slim movable reel seat get the 'TALON' reel seat, Stan Massey put one on my nemesis and it adds no extra thickness to the butt at all. Also its the recommended reel seat by Conoflex. If Stan reads this post he might be so kind as to post the pictures I sent him of it for his website. I am at work and dont have the pictures with me.

Matt I`ve got the pictures of the Talon but aint got a clue how to put them up. Is it anything to do with the

file attachment thingy just below this box??????????????

Stan

Quyote Matt: Shaun, if your looking for a slim movable reel seat get the 'TALON' reel seat, Stan Massey put one on my nemesis and it adds no extra thickness to the butt at all. Also its the recommended reel seat by Conoflex. If Stan reads this post he might be so kind as to post the pictures I sent him of it for his website. I am at work and dont have the pictures with me.

Matt I`ve got the pictures of the Talon but aint got a clue how to put them up. Is it anything to do with the

file attachment thingy just below this box??????????????

Stan

Stan

You have PM

Matt

Riverside Tackle SAC

This is the TALON reel seat full description below. I use this and can vouch for it. Holds the reel very stable can move the reel very quicly if required and adds absoloutly nothing to the butt diameter.

Below posted on behalf of Stan Massey

Made in UK and now available in two sizes. App. 24mm to 28mm (average surf rod). and a new smaller one for bass rods etc 24mm -20mm. Sizes approx. due to varying shrink wrap sizes. All metal parts are chrome plated brass. The loops which act as reel hoods are nylon with 600lb stainless steel trace cable inside. The trigger grip is detachable (tested it, about 25 secs). Also put one on a shrink wrapped spare blank, fitted an Abu 6000 and tightened. Then timed moving it from low to high position and re-tightened, took just under 15 seconds.

Not yet available everywhere but RRP is £14.99. I have a half dozen of both sizes on order from Conoflex (the selling agents) and they should be with me Friday this week. I can pass them on to AN members for £15.00 including postage on UK mainland. Should be about a two day delivery.

Talon is fully able to be dismantled and re-assembled within about 2 minutes to fit over existing blank so no need to remove butt caps, guides etc.

Obvioulsy fixed reel seats must be sawn off but anyone doing that can PM me for exact idea on how to do that safely, (takes under 5 mins without blank damage)

post-5686-1133800668_thumb.jpg

Riverside Tackle SAC

Talon reel seat. An obvious mistake there. The photo from the site says made USA. (my fault based on my superb ability to use foto shop and mis-understand the englandshire accent from Conoflex)

Talking to Aidan at Conoflex this afternoon he confirmed that whilst the original idea was based in USA these seats are actually made by a one man engineer in UK (englandshire).

Having just swapped to a low reel posistion I must mention how much more comfortable casting is on the body! I think its added a few yards as well, probably as i'm not breaking my back casting which will have created a smoother casting technique, was wondering what all you guys prefer and why?

Matt

Personally i can use either, up or down. Mostly it will depend on what style of casting i am doing, this depends on what rod i choose to fish with.

Normally my favorite style is the Back-cast, with either a multi reel or fixspool, either reel will be mounted down the butt.

Pendulum style, i will have my multi reel down, but if using a fixspool, it will be up, purely because with a fixspool in the down position the line slaps at your arm or coat sleeve.

Distance wise, reel up or down makes little if any difference when fishing.

Out on the field with maximum power being loaded into the rod, reels tuned to perfection, then reel down the butt is favored by most.

As for having trouble reeling a fish in with the reel in the down position, this should not be a problem if you use a reducer. The reducer removed for casting, and fitted for reeling in.

Edited by M.P

Reel down for casting but for FISHING, I prefer reel up as it's better when hauling in weed. I have no problem compressing my vipers reel up, but if I used something much stiffer then I would consider reel down. I do however, get enough distance as it is. Plus it keeps the reel away from the sandstorms and getting clogged up.

reel down for me please :) switched a few years back bit fidally an costly with crack offs at first but after a good few casts its a pleasure casting again also added distance on the pendulum dont really have any probs with leaverage just drag it in (cry like a big girl sometimes) but definateley better down the rod :D:D