"yarak's" First Trip, My First Impressions

darnsarf

Took "Yarak" out on friday. Went behind Hurst and as promised by the met office it was flat calm on a neap tide. What wind there was was from the east so despite casting a worm the only thing caught was the odd suicidal crab. So that was the fishing side, or fish feeding side. A big fat blank.

As for the trip it was a good chance to put the Scupper through her paces even if a bit limited by the benign conditions.

Firstly, i didnt get the chance to put the PFD through its paces and returned suprisingly dry. You can gather from that, that the stability is very good she has very good secondary. Although, you find that out by discovering that the primary stability is very easily past and this can be a little disconcerting for the first 30 seconds or so. Overall, given the shorter beam she is very stable. This is helped by the low centre of gravity. Also the narrow seating area means that you can get some good old hip control going. Will mean something to those that have paddled sit ins. The only waves I had to negotiate was from a passing trawler (boo hiss). I was anchored, the wake came in from aft 3/4 beam. no problems.

Previously I had paddled the Prowler 13 and Caper (Thanks Starvin) the major difference is sheer speed. I couldn't believe the pace this yak travels at when compared even to the Prowler. SOTs are not built for racing but the Scupper is pretty quick and effortless to paddle and the tracking is superb. You can argue that this is not important. I disagree, you get to your marks quicker or with more in reserve and the paddle back isn't so daunting. This should improve both enjoyment and safety. Although clearly designed for straight line speed (touring) the Scupper is reasonably manouverable for a 15 footer. It may never win a slalom race but she is pretty nimble for her size and I certainly didn't have any problems moving around in some of the small creeks but I did try side sculling up to a bouy at one point without much effect (got there in the end).

The low seating position does mean that without scupper plugs you are sat in a small puddle. In the summer this could be quite refreshing but in the cold you do feel it after a while (3 hours). This was not as bad as I thought it would be given some of the write ups I have read. To try and minimise this I have bought an Astro Turf type doormat, (to be used upside down) cut it to shape, hoping that the water will pass through the broad fibres while i sit on the smooth backing. Will try it tomorrow. might be in the bin tomorrow night. No water broached the sides of the Yak but the conditions were such that you would have said that about a plank.

There was a little hull slap when paddling into the breeze but nothing when at anchor. Have a sneeky feeling that in more testing conditions this may disapear as she will cut through the bigger water rather than bob along.

Cautionary note for the "larger" paddler. I am five foot eight (in heels. no not that type) with a 34 inch waist, the Scupper is a perfect fit. Height wise a six footer would not have a problem but any one larger than a 36 inch waist might find the superb seating position a bit tight. In fact it could become a POT (perch on top). Despite the damp ride the seating area is excellent (size limitations accepted). The fit and high back means that an addtional seat is not required. I was in it for a cold 3 and a half ours without feeling any physical discomfort.

Given her size, at only 55lb I can lift her with no problems onto the roof of the Jeep. Though once on there she does overhang the back a bit! If you see a Jeep with a large Banana on the roof wave its me. The boys at Bournmouth Canoes also noted that Ocean Kayak seem to have stiffened the hull. There is very little flex along the length, you can stand in the middle with no noticeable deflection. Prowler owners may have noticed this flex.

Overall 9/10. This may change once she is tested in more challenging conditions but from what I have read it is these conditions that the Scupper excels in.

For: Speed, Tracking, Stability and general fishability.

Against: Size limitations and a permanantly wet glutimus maximus.

In summary perfect for the more adventurous small - mid sized paddler that doesnt get piles. ;):D

Received today a .7kg (1 1/2lb ish) anchor you could put in your pocket. Will try it out tomorrow. Also discovered a cheap alternate rod leash while browsing my local boat shop. It is an emergency cut out lead for Jet Skis, outboards etc, £3.50. Tried it, its perfect.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hiya Darnsarf.

Well......what a terrific write up on your Scupper Pro, thanks for sharing.

Sounds like the two of you are getting on well :D

Some interesting points made on the seating area.......how easy is it to sit side saddle in her ?

I have not had a ride in the Pro, but have always liked her look and style.

It was the seating arrangements that swayed me towards the Prowler 15.......got a fat arse see

:D

Again....nice write up DS.....look forward to the pics.

YY :)

Nice one darnsarf, sounds like an excellent trip to get you started.

Sitting in the water at this time of year is a bit on the chilly side for any length of time, so scupper bungs

are probably worth getting. Just need to be careful if there's a chance of catching any waves over the side,

because they're a hell of a job to paddle full of water, you'll need to make sure you can pull the bungs out

quick. :o

nifty.

Darnsarf,

the scupper bungs are a much more comfortable prospect. I never go without them now. You don't need to worry about flooding her with them in - leave the footwell ones open. The amount of space left in the seatwell once you are sat in it is minimal - any water taken over the side (rare) or from ahead (more likely in a big sea) is soon expelled from the seat by "squishing" it out with your arse by just lifting yourself up on the gunwales a bit and then sitting back down hard - either make sure your waterproof is well sealed at the back, or keep your back hard against the back when you do this, or you get a jet of water up your shirt tail!! If done properly the water squirts forwards and runs out the footwell scuppers.

NOTE: the scupper holes in the seat are about 50% larger than the main Prowler ones, so a demhijohn bung doesn't fit - it goes right through! You need some LARGE scupperbungs - a sink plug might fit, or a squash ball. I haven't tried them, I have just thought of it!! I actually use the OK scupper bungs and they stay put. When you work them in they are as dry as a bone, but you do need to ensure they are properly fitted or they will leak - same as any bung in any hole really.

Glad you like her after my singing their praises. She suits me and is a much better paddle than the Prowler 13 - better sea keeping too and in the surf far superior due to the long kee, she is actually difficult to fall out of and easy to prevent from broaching in the surf. The P13 is good, the beamier kayaks are a handful in a proper surf. YYs P15 will be good though because of her extra length - more leverage required to push her off line, and so a paddle dab here and there is all it needs. The Pro is the same despite being that much shorter (14' 9" v 15' 4")

See you on the water then - up to Wales for the tope weekend I hope, come May/June.

Keep paddling.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Great write up Darnsarf, glad you haven't fallen out with her yet (or should that be fallen out of her).

See your keeping up the good work with the crabs.

If anyone has a crab problem where they fish, give Darnsarf a call, he will clear them for you, he's brilliant.

Like Simon says, get yourself some sort of bungs and plug those holes, it'll be a lot warmer during the cold winter days.

Hope we get out for a paddle soon, just let me shake off this damn cold.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

darnsarf i use scupper bungs from O.K.bought from bournemouth canoes.How did you get on sunday we're all waiting for another of your brilliant write ups the last one was magazine quality!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks for the feedback.

Sunday was the same fishing disaster as Friday. It was even calmer, the water was literally like glass. Great to paddle in c..p to fish in. However, to just sit on the water on a perfect calm sunny day in December was worth it in itself. You also see the bow wave when paddling, really gives an impression of the speed the Scupper can cruise at.

Anchored in the entrance to Keyhaven just behind Hurst Lighthouse. The tide can run through there at a reasonable pace. Same wet backside as before so bungs are on order. Thanks for the tip.

I have bit of a fishing fetish, sea float fishing. Using this technique it did highlight a rigging problem. When float fishing you tend to fish downtide for obvious reasons. You would think that anchoring from the rear would be the solution. However, Sunday did highlight that the Yak does not always sit true in a tide and contrary wind. It was difficult to sometimes position the yak in a way that would allow me to drift the float downtide. It became apparent that there are occasions when anchoring from the bow will be needed. Currently my anchor trolley only runs to the rear, need to change this. Fortunately my current set up did not need any drilling so altering it should not be a problem.

All in all a worth while trip even if it was another fishless trip (obligatory crabs obliged). The learning curve continues. If any of the Solent posse are up for a trip over a weekend (Sunday's best) then give me a shout.

As for the Tope next year.

"Tope on a float".... has a certain ring to it. (if unlikely) ;):) Subject to the usuals (work and the boss) count me in.

Yakity

Sorry for not addressing the side saddle question. Only ever sat sideways in Starvins Caper but due to the deep seating position and high sides on the Scupper the Caper wins. Its not imposible or uncomfortable for short periods but you probably wouldn't want to do it for hours. Simon can probably shed more light on this.

Spanner you might have something there :DB):D

Guess what - I have just found the "ADD REPLY" button and it has all those funny faces with it :unsure:

Up until now I have been using the FAST REPLY button - simply because I hadn't noticed this one sat beside it <_< Observation was always my strong point.

Anyway, back to the side saddle question on the Scupper Pro - yes you can and it works quite well for fly casting as the rounded seatwell acts as a wonderful line tray :rolleyes: However, the gunwales do cut into the back of your legs after a while. I tend to manage an hour or so happily, but I am shifting position a bit to prevent the Deep Vein Thrombosis that might otherwise occur. It isn't ideal. BUT, sitting in the seat and fishing is very comfortable - I have nodded off in the heat of the sun this summer and woke up as I lolled out the side, just before tipping in B) A close call.

Your P15 is just the job Bill, you don't need a Scupper Pro. It will be as fast if not faster, higher out of the water and with a padded seat. The Scupper Pro wins on low profile (less wind resistance when drifting or at anchor) slightly shorter and a fair bit lighter to carry about. The trolley situation isn't the same as the Ps though - you have to use a strap down cradle type trolley, not a scupper hole pin version. The holes are just too big for that.

I intend to do a lot more fishing next year (I said that this year and increased my twice annually trips about ten fold :D ) If possible I want to get at least 2 days a month done next summer but work and travel to the coast makes it awkward - it's OK for you lot that live within 2 hours drive. It is a minimum of 3 hours each way for me. Bloody nuisance - but one day i'll be rich and famous and able to retire to my waterside, country pile :D OR someone will offer me a job on the coast that pays £100K with 6 mnths holiday + public holidays and every Monday, Tues and Weds off :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo