Last minute luring

Rusty

It was brilliant day out, more for the fact that we just wanted to wander along a canal in nice weather than anything else. The fish count was pretty paltry considering that the three of us covered five miles, maybe 10 fish in total and no monsters but enough to keep us interested. The prospect (fulfilled I might add) of a ploughman’s lunch, tea and Victoria sponge kept us going. As usual I cheated and turned up early to fish the pool before anyone else arrived. The start point is governed by the convenience of the car park rather than what’s in the pool, in fact I’ve never caught anything from here but it’s a nice spot;

DSCN1155_zpseb62ec98.jpg

The lock cut downstream of the pool provided the first action of the day, a small perch fell to my Ondex spinner;

DSCN1157_zpsbc66fb98.jpg

The second action of the day was JV44 moving swiftly towards my swim;

DSCN1158_zps038682e7.jpg

The tactics were to walk and cast to any far bank vegetation however small. Cover was pretty scant along a lot of the canal (which is why we walked so far) but most of our fish came from such places. This swim looked pretty good but failed to produce;

DSCN1159_zps27944389.jpg

The stamp of fish were about this size (attributed to Steve Walker);

DSCN1161_zps1d96c2ac.jpg

But with the odd interloper thrown in (attributed to me);

DSCN1163_zps705d7253.jpg

JV44 takes the award for the biggest perch, it’s a lovely fish and I think he might have underestimated the weight.

So about 25 rod hours, 15 walking miles and god knows how many combinations of lures resulted in a modest return….BUT….we had huge fun pretending to be angling gods and whenever that was proven not to be the case there was always an excuse.

JV44 “yeah the reason I cast into the tree was because I was walking, talking and casting at the same time. I can multi task but only two tasks”

Steve Walker ”I’m really sorry about the dinner top trumps ambush last time out guys so tonight I’m having marinated venison steak….you will have time to pop to Tescos after the fishing won’t you?”

Steve Walker “Sorry Steve (JV44) I’ve no cash and the tea room doesn’t take plastic”

JV44 ”Ok mate I’ll pick up your tab, Rusty can you get the tip?”

Me “I’ve lost my big Ondex lure in a tree and can’t cast my small one far enough, it’s not fair”

Thanks guys, must do it again next season.

• Like 2

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

In my defence, JV did very kindly offer to sub my lunch as an alternative to going looking for a cashpoint when we met up first thing. Our thinking on this was not at all related to the suspicion that Rusty was already emptying the canal of perch and seeding every other swim with bars of Imperial Leather.

Jeeez mate that Pike was skinny eh?? wonder if there is not as much fish food in there for them as we think?? Perch packing weight on due to crays?

Anyway great days entertainment sorry about the tip mate but the least you could do after they decorated your cake so tastefully with the cutlery lol....till the next time

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

John, I fear those adverts are individually targeted to the viewer - is there something you would like to tell us ? ;)

The minute I had made the post I thought one of you would say this! I only wish it were true. They say that 'all publicity is good publicity', and a pic of a pole-dancing semi-retired vicar would undoubtedly make the tabloids, but I fear 'me bad back' wouldn't take he strain!

• Like 1

john clarke

It might bring some new parishioners in on a Sunday morning, John - though that would have to be balanced against the risk of the excitement being too much for a few old tickers!

Only a fishing forum could a thread go from 3 men lure fishing a canal to a bun fight in a tea room to a pole dancing vicar....and they say fishing is boring

• Like 2

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: