Lures?

Crackin Clax

If anyone has any favourite lures or lure suggestions can you please send me a pm or reply to this forum! I'm going to stock up over the xmas period and was hoping for some advice! :D

Spiiners or lures??

The Clax Will Always Crack

For catching what exactly? or are you just setting up a collection?

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Medium Salmo Slider in 'Shiner' pattern. I would get the floating and the sinking version. Good lure with plenty of fans that doesn't require a great deal of skill to work efficiently. You can't go wrong.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There's one very important question that needs answering here. How deep are the waters that you're planning to fish? The reason is that many lures are designed to fish at a particular depth. They won't work well at the wrong depth - and so any advice that we give you absolutely must take this into account. in fact I've often written that fishing at the wrong depth is the single biggest reason for the novice lure angler failing to catch.

It would also be helpful to know as much as possible about the fishing you plan to do. For instance which species will you be going after, and at what time of year? What rods have you already got as the weight of the lure in particular makes a difference here?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Assuming you want lots of fish of various species and will be fishing rivers upto about 2m in depth, I'd go with.

Mepps Angila's in sizes 2 & 3 for the chub and perch.

To fish the surface, grab some Heddon Moss Boss's for the pike in the snags and a couple of Heddon torpaedo's (in dull colours) for open water fishing.

A couple of decent shallow running minow lures like Bomber Long A's and Cordell Riplin' Redfin's are always a good idea.

Spinnerbaits are usefull and can be fished through water of varying depth very effectivly.

Finnish up with a couple of deeper diving shad type lures ( I like the Salmo's but they're hard to find) and a few soft plastic swimbaits and you have a start.

If you wan't to chuck big lures and specifically target the bigger pike, the selection would change but if I were told that I could use just three lures to fish the Severn, they'd be a size 3 Mepps, a large Heddon Moss Boss and a half ounce spinner bait.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Wideeyed Shad Illusion, Shad Paddletails in Blue, Gray, Black & White, Rainbow in 3,6 & 9" lengths for soft baits. For the metalheads, FZ Spoon with Silver, Gold or Bronze in varied sizes are the primary, but others have caught fish as well. For Spinners, you are going to need a book to name them all. It becomes a matter of what works at the time.

HOPPY4

HOPPY

Thanks, i usually fish in water of about 6ft deep, about 5ft down are a few snags here and there. I wish to target pike. My rod is a spinning rod which has a 2 and three quater pound test curve!

The Clax Will Always Crack

Slowly working a weightless shad, or big mag tail grubz, through that sort of swim could find some pike. Sounds just like where I fish!

Little, gentle jerks could be the doggy's do dahs. If you are worried about snagging then try rigging a trace through the bait with a single circle hook, or similar, hanging away from the lure about 2/3rds down its length. Thread the trace through a bead before crimping the hook on, stops it pulling into the bait.

Alternatively try a 'spinner bait', any half competant, pike orientated tackle shop should be able to sell you one of those. Just work it deep.