Lure Fishing

Uncle Fester

What sort of rods are you good people using for lure fishing these days? I want to do some plugging this winter and having not done very much for many years would appreciate some advice. I really want some pike (and I have caught many before, but not for a long time and have got a reasonable understanding of how to handle them not to mention the long forceps and side cutters). I have a range of rods for carp and barbel but not sure what length and test curve is best suited to casting plugs, and handling, large, angry predators. I know the classic spinning rods are short, does this have an advantage? I also want to try with a multiplier as well as fixed spool (not at the same time though) are the rod requirements any different.

Any help much appreciated.

Unc F

This has been discussed many times before. Bit like shoes, what fits one man will cripple another.

Somewhere between 7'6" and 9' would be my choice, depending on where you intend to fish. Perhaps I would buy a 7'6" jobby for use with the multiplier, and the 9' for the fixed spool.

Think a search of previous threads on the subject would be good.

If you need to cast a lure into the next county and will spend most of your time retrieving it after the long casts, a longish rod could be fine. I like lure rods to no more than about 7½ feet and shorter for some uses. Lots easier on my body to cast with them. As noted, a matter of personal preference since most any good rod that will handle the lure weight you are using will handle any fish you are likely to hook.

Spinning and baitcasting rods are ringed very differently and you need a purpose-made rod for either setup.

As Peter noted, lots of this stuff is very much a matter of what feels good to you so best, if possible, to take a few tosses with someone elses rigs and see what suits you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Need to think about what style and size of lures you will be using realy to work out what rod would be best.

Forget the forceps (especialy long ones!) for lure work.Long nose pliers will prove to be a far better unhooking tool.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You can certainly make a longer rod work - you just have to work at it a little harder.

If you decide it is fun, you will then have the perfect excuse to buy more gear and that, to me, is always a great state of affairs. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for your help guys, looks like a case of trial and error. I dont have any rods less than 11ft though, so if I can't make it work, I will have to invest in a shorter one.

Thanks again,

Unc F

Uncle....lost in the mist of time, I used to have a 12 foot Silstar 1.75lb TC carp rod rung for fixed spool but fitted with a baitcaster. I used that for bank lure fishing for two seasons without too much hassle. It was really a bit too long, had the wrong reel and after a while was a bit tiring to cast. But the point is that it worked...all the way up until I pulled a bit too hard on a snagged lure at the wrong angle, one Xmas on the Trinity Broads and the top section exploded into several pieces. My boat bait rods are 9 and 10 feet and on the odd occasion I wobble baits with the 10s and thats not too dissimilar to casting lures. The length of the rod is less important than the weight and balance. If you don't try to cast overly heavy lures, then a standard carp/pike 12 footer will see you through the winter. 11 foot even better. Depending on the TC you should be fine with lures in the 30-80 gram range. It isn't the best option, but it's not bad....and its cheap.

Just a footnote Uncle. Rods set up for fixed spool reels are relatively easy to use with a baitcaster reel since the guides are large and the line will run freely. Not so the other way around since baitcaster guides are relatively small and if used with a fixed spool, casting distance is much restricted..the pistol grip gets in the way too. Since the baitcaster is used with the rod in the upside down position, it could be said that the spine of the rod is on the wrong side. However its been my experience that a lot of factory rods are clearly made with the spine wrongly placed in relation to the guides. Besides unless you really get 'in' to this lure business I suspect you'll never notice the difference.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

On the rods of choice, the list is long. I have a couple that I use this time of year more so due to their weight and strength. These rods are from SPRO and at first look, seem long for some. I have found that the longer rod is used more than the shorter one. The lures that I am using are varried and as much as 100g in weight. This said, I have another rod that is used for lure fishing primarily for Wels during the summer. It is a 2,00m rod that has a 200g WG 2pc. construction. It was built for this purpose and handles well also. The reel that I am using on the 3m rod is a Okuma Eclipz EZ-90 with 50lb. PP as the mainline with a 12ft. Leader of 100lb. PP. The requirement to bank/shore fish has pushed me toward the longer rod and it has worked well. JMHO!!!!

Spinnrute SPRO EXCLU 3,00m 40-80g WG 3pc.

Spinnrute SPRO EXCLU 2,00m 30-60g WG 2pc.

HOPPY

Thanks for the valuable replies guys. The only rods I have that I think are vaguely suitable are either 2 1/4lb 11 footers or 1 3/4lb 12 footers, I think perhaps the stiffness of the 11 footers would reduce the casting ability. I think in view of your comments, a look at some 9 or 10 foot rods rung for fixed spools would be a good idea, then I can use either sort of reel.

Just one further question for Hoppy, how do you get on lure fishing for Wels? I guess it works or you wouldn't do it. I just wouldn't expect cats to feed by any other methods than smell or touch, do they react on the vibrations?

thanks Unc F