Backleads - The How & The When

Elton

Just added this by Julian - hope to add a few photos later:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/carp/backleads.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

PERSONALLY I have found the use of backleads of all types to be a hindrance rather than help.

The captive ones are the worst as I have even had them tangle round the mainline. The other types can pick up weed and debris and can stop retrieval. The list goes on. I put up with the line bites, they keep me on my toes.

A lot more to say on the subject. But I will leave it at that. B)

Edited by lilypad

I do use back leads on my local water mainly because it helps stop the Swans and Ducks getting tangled in my lines. Also as I fish with 3 rods it helps to stop fish tangling up with my other lines when I am landing one. I use the fox ones the ones with the flat bottom.

Edited by johnhere

LOL – the above two posts kind of emphasise my first paragraph.

Each to their own, eh? :D

Tight Lines...

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

PERSONALLY I have found the use of backleads of all types to be a hindrance rather than help.

The captive ones are the worst as I have even had them tangle round the mainline.

Then you must be doing something wrong in the set up??

I do use back leads on my local water mainly because it helps stop the Swans and Ducks getting tangled in my lines. Also as I fish with 3 rods it helps to stop fish tangling up with my other lines when I am landing one. I use the fox ones the ones with the flat bottom.

I agree with you there as it's help me to stop the ducks and again it stop any fish tangling up my other lines when playing/landing one as well

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

bl1.jpg

Andrew, I guess that the reason your BL tangled around the line is because it did not release and "flicked over" the line......serious problem with the Fox ones.

I designed my BL to avoid this problem and in use approx 4 days a week on 3 or 4 rods spread over 2 years, mine have never tangled..nor have the guys who have purchased them reported any probs.

As Jules says, different leads for different reasons...I use mine under the rod tip to allow me to safely play and land a large fish without lifting the other three out of the way...some feat in the dark I should imagine.

The second reason is to stop drifting rubbish from catching the line, stops swans etc getting caught up or simply dragging the line around, and minimises the annoying bleep bleep in a wind (I use braid)

When fishing real close in I use them to pin the line down to avoid spooking the fish working the marginal shelf.

They can also act as another bobbin,albeit an underwater one, but just as effective at helping to stop the fish ejecting the hook.

Guy I fish with never uses them, does not want to use them even for free, but he does use the flying BL as he wants to pin the line down near the rig...for the same reason that he does not use braid (mine floats up if allowed to slacken off), My tethered BL are 1.25oz and do keep the line down even with 80 yards out.

When fishing across a shallow margin area I don't bother with BL as they have no useful function in that situation.

As for bite indication, using the bolt rig or running rigs I use for carping there is plenty of indication even as little as a single bleep and only an inch or two of line movement, but that is with braid, definitely different with mono, but even so I want more than a twitch or two to make me pick up the rod :)

No one type can suit all situations but having suffered the mess of all four rods tangled in the dark and having to write off several hundred yards of expensive braid and risked losing a tethering a fish I would always use tethered BL where possible.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Back leads are definately a plus on most waters in the area of your bait, but the biggest mistake some people make is to use them indescriminately on weedy waters.

If weed is present between your rod and lead your line will be lifted of the bottom. No longer keeping it out of the way of patrolling carp.

Den - where can one acquire your backleads and what price on them?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President