Bluefin Tuna

Colin Brett

Just had a couple of days out in Donegal after Bluefin Tuna! I will send Elton a write up on the fishing when I get back from Ireland [Week after next]. Absolutely awesome fish! New european record was boated on Wednesday [not by me] 868lbs, 8' 10" long 6' 6" girth, 2hours to boat 1 hour before they saw it. The guy who caught it was still aching the following day. He said he felt as though his arms didn't belong to him anymore!!

See www.tunacharters.ie

Off to enjoy some more of Ireland now.

Colin

Colin.

Bluefin? And Ireland has got Yellowfin, 994lb or such? Or is it the otherway `round?

Whichever way it is. It`s a damn sight cheaper than flying a couple of thousand miles to catch one of them.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hello

colin-there was a 994lbs (or thereabouts) bluefin caught a few years back (2000 i think) that was accepted by the irish specimen fish committee, i would imagine that fish would be the european record.

spasor- that fish was a bluefin, there have also been a few albacore tuna caught, but no yellows as far as im aware

ph-i would be surprised if it was

adam

Definitely Bluefin!!!!!!!!!!!! and b****y great big ones as well..

The skipper [Adrian molloy]I went out with caught the 970lber in 2000. It wasn't recognised as the record as he caught it on 150lb line. The 868 on 130lb line should be accepted. Adrian recons they run to over 1000lbs, probably as high as 1500 which would be a world record.

2 others caught off Galway in the last couple of days. only small at 660lbs.

Catch and release is practised but not on possible record fish.

€600 charters the boat for a day this includes all tackle and good tackle it is too. Excellent value and the anticipation is something else. Season runs from mid August to mid November all depends on the weather.

You can actually see these fish from the shore.

Just awesome!!!

I think I've got the Bluefin bug?????????

Colin

Wow! Cool post.

I can't believe you can actually see them from the shore. It must be mind-blowing to have one on the of you line!

I was only joking about the C&R of those babies. Can you imagine it? Hauling them beside the boat and asking them politely to open wide while daddy retrieves the hook.

I heard that pound for pound, you'll get plenty of yooyoos for a bluefin at market. I wonder if you are allowed to keep what you catch from that charter?

Posted Image

Hi

Just to let you know that John Brittain has a tiddler of a mere 397 lb on his boat out of Clifden on the 16th, which proves that a route directly south along the coast from Donegal does exist... much as was predicted. It will be interesting to see if Derek Noble and co down in Kerry pick up some "stragglers" later in the season.

World record is around 1430 lbs, and fish of 2200 lbs have been recorded (in the past) by commercial fishermen in the Bahamas

FWIW... according to a marine biologist working for the Marine Institute here, catch and release is important on the "smaller fish", i.e. those under 1000 lbs as these are the fish that need to reach maturity in order to ensure a fishery into the future. Taking the big record breaking fish should not prove to be a problem - disgusted to hear that Adrian's fish was not recognised - if you caught a 1000 lbs fish on the end of a rope it still deserves to be recognised!!! :-)

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

quote:

Originally posted by Colin Brett:

[QBI wonder if his arms are still aching?

Colin[/QB]

his arms might not be but I bet the Tuna's head is.. what was the excuse for killing this one? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

It wasn't a skate probably!!

:)

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))