Wish Me Luck I Need It!

Guest Josh Iddon

Good advice Steve thanks :)

At least in the cold weather chub will always be the get outta jail card. I've been lucky this week in getting two chub over 5lbs, not a stunning result but to have a bend in your carbon gives me a real lift in thes dark winter days.

Did anyone see the predator programme on Sky?, they were using Lamprey sections for Chub and the the Chub were loving it, has anyone here used Lamprey? and what were the results.

Wow whats not stunning about catching 2 x 5lb chub in a week. :blink:

Edited by MALC2

atb

malc

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rabbit, lamprey is a steady bait for chub, it does catch but if i target chub with dead baits then i prefer much softer baits, my favorie being kipper chunks (no joke), my pb chub and several close to it have fallen to kipper, makerel is good but the chub tend to remove the flesh from the skin so hook up ratio isnt as good, sardine in my experience seems to be an instant result or none at all for chub, i.e. either a bite in 2mins or not at all, maybe it becomes washed out rapidly compared to lamprey?

having said all that even though my pb fell to kipper, i prefer meat baits eg steak, meatballs etc as they have caught more big chub compared to fish baits.

I caught a few chub and roach but not much.

Hey, Josh, I thought you'd just broken a spell of 8 blanks, all these 'anglers' prayers' have been answered, and you say 'but not much'!

So really you're not just wanting to break a duck, but get something really good. Fair enough, and in that case I'm sure all the advice people have given is spot on.

However, if it was really a question of just catching something trotting, in my limited experience I'd see it a bit differently from some of what you've been told. In my local waters there are places where you can trot maggot and get plenty of bites in the winter. Nothing fantastic, but plenty of 4oz roach, chublets, reasonable dace etc. I'm mainly thinking of small rivers with a medium flow. Fair enough if that's not what you want, but if you just wanted some enjoyable trotting I'd suggest choosing a different swim.

john clarke

Terry, what tactics/bait did you use today? And what did you catch?

i was on my favourite today running a stick float down a steady flow just catching roach and a few bonus perch. Nothing huge and particurlarly memorable but a nice day by the river . Everything fell to the humble maggot . For the staticians i had about 6lbs of 2-6oz roach

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Josh, welcome to my club. I love blanking, it gives plenty of time to light that fag, drink that coffee without the unwanted intrusion of a fish.

Well thats what I keep telling myself. My personal best is one year without a fish,Unc F

Each to his own. I bet you only blanked because you were after specimens, but I did meet a guy fishing the Wey in Surrey who didn't but a bait on the hook, as he had no real intention to catch. :unsure:

john clarke

Wow whats not stunning about catching 2 x 5lb chub in a week. :blink:

I know B)B)B) Didn't really mean to come over like that, I do appreciate that the chub felt sorry for me. Interesting point is that I caught them in two different locations but both were caught in slackish water by a weir. Successful baits were hallibut pellett and lobworm. :)

rabbit, lamprey is a steady bait for chub, it does catch but if i target chub with dead baits then i prefer much softer baits, my favorie being kipper chunks (no joke), my pb chub and several close to it have fallen to kipper, makerel is good but the chub tend to remove the flesh from the skin so hook up ratio isnt as good, sardine in my experience seems to be an instant result or none at all for chub, i.e. either a bite in 2mins or not at all, maybe it becomes washed out rapidly compared to lamprey?

having said all that even though my pb fell to kipper, i prefer meat baits eg steak, meatballs etc as they have caught more big chub compared to fish baits.

Hi Zed,

Interesting stuff, never really tried meat / fish baits, or come to that cheese, but I think I should ring the changes more, let you know what happens.

What is your pb chub??

I know B)B)B) Didn't really mean to come over like that, I do appreciate that the chub felt sorry for me. Interesting point is that I caught them in two different locations but both were caught in slackish water by a weir. Successful baits were hallibut pellett and lobworm. :)

Hi Zed,

Interesting stuff, never really tried meat / fish baits, or come to that cheese, but I think I should ring the changes more, let you know what happens.

What is your pb chub??

Whitebait are excellent for chub and many other species, especially carp! In fact I put whitebait in my top few chub baits. I've used them since 1979, and in fact the first article I ever had published outside of the Chub Study's Group magazine was called "Chub on Whitebait". See also my article "5lb roach or Deadbait Surprises" at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve02.htm

For more on whitebait, rather than repeating myself, do a search on past forum topics. This should throw up quite a lot.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Flying Tench,

Me after specimens?

Not likely, anything would have done. Couldn't even get a gudgeon with a maggot. Alright, I missed the entire summer last year, but made amends this summer. Had lots of nice fish but the 2 times I've been out lately have resulted in no score. Gonna try again after xmas.

Very flattering though, thank you.

Unc Festive

Flying Tench,

Me after specimens?

Not likely, anything would have done. Couldn't even get a gudgeon with a maggot. Alright, I missed the entire summer last year, but made amends this summer. Had lots of nice fish but the 2 times I've been out lately have resulted in no score. Gonna try again after xmas.

Very flattering though, thank you.

Unc Festive

Sorry you missed the summer Uncle F What happened you got taken by the aliens then? Oh!! by the way you sold the Greys Barbel Rod yet. I sent u a message in For sale / auctions etc 2 days ago :rolleyes:

For more on whitebait, rather than repeating myself, do a search on past forum topics. This should throw up quite a lot.

I've read the previous threads and found them really interesting, but my one problem is where to get whitebait. The local supermarkets don't sell them, and I couldn't find anywhere on the web. If you or anyone else knew of a postal source I'd be interested.

john clarke