Fish Finders, Help Or Hindrance ?

chuggs

A plumb will tell you the depth! Also, when your float falls on its side you have it set too deep! Just keep bringing the float stop up until it sits nicely - then another foot to be sure! The simple ways are the most pleasing - but not necessarily the best. You can tell I am not a competition angler can't you!

Of course it will, but it's not a lot of good in water 40' or 50' deep when you are looking for out crops, trenches, drop offs or steeply shoaling ground etc! I think that is why the navy dispensed with having men dropping leaded lines from the bows of their ships.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Well I am looking forward to finding any just out of sight submerged rock out crops or hollows that i would other wise happily paddle over never knowing they are there. And you never know there may be some fish by these underwaters objects! :D

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Simon,

"A plumb will tell you the depth!" ..... yes, but it takes so long to find that 300ft hole in the middle of the loch that I'll loose too much fishing time :)

Got to agree though, fishfinder is a misnomer .... feature finder and all round onbaord entertainment centre ... oh yes.

But it does get in the way of fishing though, can't deny that, but thats in a good way ... I often spend ages exploring rather than actually fishing, but its not aimless wandering, its specific. I check out the terrain of shore marks I fish and I hunt down new possiblities, and I get a good idea of the general layout of the sea bed in way more detail than a chart ever gives you.

For example the chart shows a mound in the middle of a loch coming up from 120ft to 30ft turns out to have a 90ft wall on one side going from top to bottom in less than the length of the yak.... makes a big difference to how you fish it.

Wouldn't be without it :)

Edited by spanner

I think the Navy went down the scupper when they stopped flogging with the cat-O-nine-tails and keel hauling!

I had to learn the lead line when I was a cadet. Didn't use it of course - but we even had to make one! Bits of red rag, knots, cord......

If you are fishing in 8 fathoms of water why are you float fishing? Are you anchored and trotting at depth? Or do you drift and drag the float? Interesting concept, but I am not going to folow your method. I shall just trot a light lead without the float (I miss out on the visual of the float disappearing Iknow). Interested to know how you are doing it in such depth though.

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I think the Navy went down the scupper when they stopped flogging with the cat-O-nine-tails and keel hauling!

Yes, but far fewer ships hit the bottom as the methods of finding the bottom improved. Though perhaps a lot of ships sank while sailors were finding bottom. <_<

If you are fishing in 8 fathoms of water why are you float fishing? Are you anchored and trotting at depth? Or do you drift and drag the float? Interesting concept, but I am not going to folow your method. I shall just trot a light lead without the float (I miss out on the visual of the float disappearing Iknow). Interested to know how you are doing it in such depth though.

Cheers,

Simon.

But surely you were the only person who suggested using a plumb? Did anyone else suggest float fishing at 8 fathoms? I merely suggested that the plumb would be a silly way of determining the depth in that sort of water! :blink:

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Darnsarf, I always thought you got out of the yak to test the depth of water :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

and all round on board entertainment centre ... oh yes.

in a year or two they will come with GPS, Radio, MP3 player,computer.........

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

SM Im only accurate to 5'8". :D

Simon in the right conditions I frequently fish over 40' with a float. Very effective fishing 3' off the bottom with a float, just letting it go with the flow so to speak. Those Bass can't resist those sandeels. Add to that list Pollock & Whiting. Mid depth for Mackys and only 6' for Garfish. All good sporting fish. (a 1lb Macky caught on very light float gear is one of the best scraps there is.)

Its more effective than people give it credit for ask Richi. ;):)

Must admit I am biased. I'm as passionate about float sea fishing as you fly boys are about fluff chucking. Something very satisfying seeing your float dive underwater as a Pollock takes off with your bait.

Back to fishfinders you can see why when float fishing the depth and topography or is it hydrography is important but admitedly not essential.

Tope on a Float!!! :o:)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)