How far do you go?

Guest tigger

I am really lucky in that within a hours drive or less I can be on the Severn, Teme, or Avon which is where most of my fishing is done along with Malc2. Next season I will be on the Ouse a bit too, which will also be about an hours drive. I do go and fish the Itchen and Test which is probably a 250 mile round trip. I suppose on average I do 60-100 mile round trip to fish.

Paul

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just an 8hp Ken. I'm restricted to a little over walking pace on the Thames so there's no point in a bigger engine. It being a four stroke twin cylinder, its pretty quiet too. But it'll still do 10/11 knots flat out.

A serviced pontoon mooring with 24/7 security, water and power available (and the use of the yacht club bar B) ) is around £100 per month (metered power extra) I sold the trailer park (saves £250 pa parking fees) and use a friend's trailer when I need it.

hope your daughter enjoyed her holiday. Sounds like she was staying in Shakespeare country.

Ah yes, the dreaded no-wake zone. Oh well, you're not going to be towing water skiers anyway. :P So what do you typically fish for, Argyll? That's an excellent trolling motor. Actually, both of them are.

My daughter Erika returns on Wednesday. I have to drive to Chicago to get her. She said she doesn't want to come back because everyone has been so friendly to her, so I suppose she's had a great time over there. I'm flying to Florida next week with my wife. :)

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Ah yes, the dreaded no-wake zone. Oh well, you're not going to be towing water skiers anyway. :P So what do you typically fish for, Argyll? That's an excellent trolling motor. Actually, both of them are.

My daughter Erika returns on Wednesday. I have to drive to Chicago to get her. She said she doesn't want to come back because everyone has been so friendly to her, so I suppose she's had a great time over there. I'm flying to Florida next week with my wife. :)

You mean 'over here' :rolleyes: Hope she gets home safe.

Mostly pike, perch, chub and barbel. We now have zander and cats in the river too, I've yet to see one though.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Guest Brumagem Phil
there are a couple of venues a 5 mind drive from me but one is pants and the other I havn't really got to grips with.

That'll be Earlswood and Rowheath I presume!?

Mostly pike, perch, chub and barbel. We now have zander and cats in the river too, I've yet to see one though.

Well, if the zander are anything like walleye/pickerel over here (umm, that's over there to you, Gerry :D ), you had better rig up a marine lighting system aboard your boat. The bite is much better at night. If I didn't like my sleep so much I would be out there after dark myself.

I didn't know there were catfish in the UK. They're not native, are they?

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

I have loads of waters (22 no less!!) round my neck of the woods but unfortunately, most are 'owned' by various Trout syndicates, so Pike fishing is a no-no (well...when we get caught that is!!). The free waters aren't worth trying because every man and his dog has hammered them to death.

So, we normally travel about 80 miles or so to get to our favourite spots.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Haven't forgotten Russell. Just waiting till they've eaten a bit more and packed on a bit of weight. About the beginning of Feb should do nicely

your on then, :) i shall have new lure rod and abu multiplier by then,gotta get some on lures.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

your on then, :) i shall have new lure rod and abu multiplier by then,gotta get some on lures.

Sounds good Russell. I'll set something up in a week or two.

Well, if the zander are anything like walleye/pickerel over here (umm, that's over there to you, Gerry :D ), you had better rig up a marine lighting system aboard your boat. The bite is much better at night. If I didn't like my sleep so much I would be out there after dark myself.

I didn't know there were catfish in the UK. They're not native, are they?

Ken, the zander were introduced into the UK in the 1800s by the Duke of Bedford at Woburn Abbey. Since then they've been released/have escaped into the river network and worked their way north, south and west. The catfish are Wels from mainland europe brought over (mostly illegally I suspect) and put into ponds and fisheries. As you'd expect they started showing up in river systems and will probably be a major part of the population of the bigger UK rivers within ten years or so. The biggest that I've heard about in the Thames bottomed out a set of 66lb scales. That was a little upstream from Hampton Court Palace.

Less than a mile to my local gravel pit :), less than two miles to another good fishery. For easier winter fishing then a long trip for me is the 25 mile round trip to Makins. Since I prefer to fish short evening sessions, I'd much rather spend the time fishing than travelling.