Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest @Winter@

Isnt that about 26 per cent not 2 ???

Maybe this fisheries officer guy would know if you get discards with the bigger meshes?

Mind cant see a fisheries officer coming on here surely it would be a conflict of interests. Do the authorities who employ such peole not have a code of conduct.

Edited by @Winter@

hello Big cod

Wurzel the codends at 120ml still get plenty of discards due to the heavynesss of the nett it gets very tight and the meshess still close.

Thats why the square mesh is good, because it does not close up like normal diamond meshes.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest binatone
Binitone 2% YOU KNOW AND I KNOW THAT IS ABSOLUTE RUBISH .

ARE YOU REALLY A TRAWLER SKIPPER I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER.

DISCARDS HAVE BEEN KNOW TO BE UPTO 50%

You asked me big cod to tell the members on this forum what I have witnessed regards small codling discards through my colorful fishing career (your words) I gave these numbers to the best of my ability.

I have asked you repeatedly to give some numbers on what you or other charter boats catch in a season.

You did not oblige so I gave you my estimation and asked you to comment (higher or lower) that again you declined to do.

I have never stated that angling should be band in any way or form. What I asked you and others was, what would be your thoughts on closing a fishery and would you be prepared to stop fishing in that fishery area if told to do so.

You started throwing discard amounts about again not me. All I have done on this thread is try and answer your questions.

If you again are not prepared to disclose what you catch then it can be for one of three reasons.

One you don’t know because you keep no records? Two. Your average numbers would not look as impressive as your reports occasionally state. That’s understandable big cod, that’s what fishing is all about.

Or last but not least, you spend so much time observing what commercial trawler men are catching that you have not got the time to observe your own commercial charter industry.

In my eyes big cod you will never be taken seriously if you have no credibility in what you do. You must have some sort of accountability in what you do, before you can go along and try and help to enforce somebody else’s accountability to what they practice.

The largest haul of fish that I have been fortunate to be a part of was back in 89. We took twenty one lifts each lift was about 150 stone out of all that fish we discarded 5 stone.

A different fishery in a different place.

Now if you and other anglers want to get the spawney fishery shut down along with commercial trawler men then I suggest that you start keeping records of some sort so you can at least show a bit of credibility when putting forward your case.

Guest binatone
The first line of this paragraph says it all 100 boats on this fisherie now only 5 you shafted it mate your words not mine.

And why was there 40 charter boats 20 years ago and only a hand full now?

Have you not shafted your own fishery?

I think what BC is getting at is the fishery has been shafted by the annual cull of juvenile codling every year off whitby and a lot of this NE coast

Winter ....

you have Ben Bradshaws and Robert Goodwills address?

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Guest binatone
I think what BC is getting at is the fishery has been shafted by the annual cull of juvenile codling every year off whitby and a lot of this NE coast

Winter ....

you have Ben Bradshaws and Robert Goodwills address?

Hello skippytheroo.

I understand what big cod is getting at and his concerns on this fishery. I have said on quite a few occasions that the threat from the commercial fishing fleet on this fishery has no comparison to what it was ten years ago.

There are not the boats, the catching power or come to that the enthusiasm of the fisherman to this fishery.

Whitby boats that in years gone by would not have missed this fishery for the world, don’t even take part in it.

And why was there 40 charter boats 20 years ago and only a hand full now?

Binitone there is now 18 licenced charterboats working out of whitby in 2006 WHY you ask yourself is the reason that when 20years ago there was over 40 , the reason being myfriend is that DIRTY WORD OVERFISHING as what is in cefarse report its black and white mate.

kind regards and good fishing.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hello skippytheroo.

I understand what big cod is getting at and his concerns on this fishery. I have said on quite a few occasions that the threat from the commercial fishing fleet on this fishery has no comparison to what it was ten years ago.

There are not the boats, the catching power or come to that the enthusiasm of the fisherman to this fishery.

Whitby boats that in years gone by would not have missed this fishery for the world, don’t even take part in it.

Binatone

If as has been reported on here is true about the 50% plus discard of undersize fish dead at herring spawn time that, to me, is unacceptable with fish stocks being so dangerously low. We, as stakeholders, should be doing all we can to ensure that fish survive to spawn at least once. Surely everyone can see that...........

It doesnt matter if there is 1 boat shovelling back 1000 undersize fish back a night or 50 boats shovelling back 50000 fish......

Edited by skippytheroo

Skippy

So many questions so little time....