Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Since your at your computer BC, any chance of an estimate of the cod that the Whitby charter fleet take in a year?

Hi jaffa,

the question you ask is a difficult one to anser as i dont really know what othere boats catch as we vary at what time we land so the anser is no i cant tell you .

But there is one thing for sure and i keep saying this, when you start compairing angling boats to the commercial fleet its a tottal joke they will have shovelled back over the side today more codling in numbers than the whole of the charter fleet catch in 3months there is no comparision mate and really its very sad .

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi jaffa,

the question you ask is a difficult one to anser as i dont really know what othere boats catch as we vary at what time we land so the anser is no i cant tell you .

But there is one thing for sure and i keep saying this, when you start compairing angling boats to the commercial fleet its a tottal joke they will have shovelled back over the side today more codling in numbers than the whole of the charter fleet catch in 3months there is no comparision mate and really its very sad .

Im surprised you can't but not surprised you tack onto your answer the usual attack on discards. My problem is I'm no longer so sure the discards are as big a deal as the killing of the mature stock.

Never mind the rest of the whitby charter fleet then: what are your landings for the past year?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Im surprised you can't but not surprised you tack onto your answer the usual attack on discards. My problem is I'm no longer so sure the discards are as big a deal as the killing of the mature stock.

Never mind the rest of the whitby charter fleet then: what are your landings for the past year?

Chris i cant believe what you have just said you dont believe the killing of MILLIONS OF SMALL CODLING are as bad as killing of the mature stock dont these fish grow up into adults and spawn .

As for what i catch i really coulnt tell you i dont keep count .

But the four lads on the photo which was wiped off caught 70 to 80 codlings but thats only peanuts mate.

Untitled-1.jpg

Chris i cant believe what you have just said you dont believe the killing of MILLIONS OF SMALL CODLING are as bad as killing of the mature stock dont these fish grow up into adults and spawn .

As for what i catch i really coulnt tell you i dont keep count .

But the four lads on the photo which was wiped off caught 70 to 80 codlings but thats only peanuts mate.

Thats the big problem for me. Used to to think the same as you; we both know what a trawler dumps.

Im not convinced that is what matters now though. Now I want those big fish to survive and the discards seem unimportant in "the scheme of things".

Your landings for the year?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Thats the big problem for me. Used to to think the same as you; we both know what a trawler dumps.

Im not convinced that is what matters now though. Now I want those big fish to survive and the discards seem unimportant in "the scheme of things".

Your landings for the year?

CHRIS I DONT KEEP A RECORD SO I CANT TELL YOU . :blink:

Untitled-1.jpg

I`m a tad confused by this thread.

OK. I`d like to see commercial fishing for cod curtailed. But if global warming is the real cause of the decline in stocks. Then all cod fishing must cease immediately! Because when the Gulf stream stops pushing warm waters around our shores in the following decades, there will still be a crusty old fisherman than can remember catching a 5 pounder, and having the nerve to call it a cod!!!

less than 8lbs it`s a codling. Forget the sentimentalities of the supermarkets and their suppliers!

Since when does a fish with a prospect of achieving 70 - 80lbs if left to mature without human interference, become adult at 4-5lbs?????

Or is that just a tale for poor fishermen.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

In my area in the summer we have lots of small bass, then in the winter they all turn into small codling.

Cod have a very fast growth rate and bass a very slow growth rate, yet we have lots of small cod and bass.

The fact is there are more bass than cad, but both species are getting creamed by commercials before they reach sexual maturity. The bass thrive with our mild winters, the cod do not and some move north.

The only good thing gowing for cod is the fast growth rate. The only good thing going for bass is mild winters and the bmp.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

In my area in the summer we have lots of small bass, then in the winter they all turn into small codling.

Cod have a very fast growth rate and bass a very slow growth rate, yet we have lots of small cod and bass.

The fact is there are more bass than cad, but both species are getting creamed by commercials before they reach sexual maturity. The bass thrive with our mild winters, the cod do not and some move north.

The only good thing gowing for cod is the fast growth rate. The only good thing going for bass is mild winters and the bmp.

I agree with most of that but what I can't understand is why have the codling got smaller? We still get similar numbers of codling. If you used to catch 10 a day you still catch 10 a day. But the 5/6/7/8 Lb'ers have become 2/3/4 Lb'ers. We never used to get 2/3 Lb's in any numbers now they are the majority.

Could it be that the 5/6/7/8 Lb'ers have more or less been wiped out and the 2/3/4 Lb'ers we see now would have once been discards. But due to the restrictions on the number of days commercial boats can fish they are now happy survivors. Don't know, but there has to be a reason.

I think its the same as with the bass, the mowing your lawn sindrome. If you cut your gass once a week to 3 inches the chances are you will mostly have 3 inch long grass.

Cod are fast growing and the few spawners can produce many baby cod.

So it just shows how effiecent commercial fisherman are that they catch most fish before they reach 4lb.

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!