Cod "doomed" due to climate change.

Jaffa

Anyone want to try and guess the number of fish that beach anglers discard that ultimatly die? There are a lot of beach anglers who are not up to the same standards as the people who post on this forum. I have seen angling beaches littered with dead undersized fish. Particularily if there has been some kind of competition.

My guess is 80%+

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2% of a 100000 tonnes tho is 2000 tonnes....thats a hell of a lot of undersized juvenile codling that have not yet spawned. No 2% is not acceptable

Don't forget that the 2% has been given as weight!!!

There are one hell of a lot more undersize codling in a ton than there are 10 pounders. I wonder what percentage it would work out in numbers? 50%, 60%, 70% or even 80%?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Steve you have a point mate ,but what you are missing is why are we in the position we are now it is not through charter boats catching fish

its the hammer it has had over the years by trawling, 2 years ago in whitby harbour a pair team had to drag the net all the way to whitby harbour 12 miles because they couldnt handle the amount of fish in the codend there was that much fish in the codend approx 300 kit of small codling that is 3000stone and that figure came from one of the skippers own mouths.

The fish had been feeding on herring spawn and by the time they sorted the fish out they only got 40boxes of codling out of the 3000 stone a WASTE OF 2400 STONE OF SMALL CODLING the harbour was full of dead small codling it was the talk of the town so steve when you talk about charter boats doing any damage to cod stocks or anybody with rod and line get real mate.

I've SEEN an even bigger catch than that Big Cod.

Two Stonehaven pair trawlers, the Bahati and the Smallwood, back in maybe 1983, found they could'nt haul the net and had a scary trip dragging it miles to Stonehaven to beach it with the tide. It was found to have over 2000 boxes of cod in it; all of which was ruined and went for fishmeal. It was a disaster for the boat and crew, as between the time lost coming in, and time unloading and fixing the net their week was ruined. No pay for them that week.

It was the only such haul I have ever heard of up here (and your area is small time compared to the Scottish east coast) ,so I assume the haul you speak of was pretty exceptional, for Whitby too; a one off freak event - Yet you use it as a "typical" example of the "goings on" in commercial fishing? ! :rolleyes:

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest @Winter@

Stavey you absolute genious. Put me on a trawler next october/herring spawn time fishing for codlings around Whitby with a body guard though. Big cod can choose the exact coordinates and I will bring the cam corder and the qwells.... Then Binatone can choose his favourite wreck chocked full of the breeding fish BC allegedly kills and we will have a days jigging. If we get nowt on jigger we will attach a big treble to our friends butt and lower him down, see if we can tempt a new port record :D:D:D . Like it. Like it a lot.

Edited by @Winter@

Guest @Winter@
Steve you have a point mate ,but what you are missing is why are we in the position we are now it is not through charter boats catching fish

its the hammer it has had over the years by trawling, 2 years ago in whitby harbour a pair team had to drag the net all the way to whitby harbour 12 miles because they couldnt handle the amount of fish in the codend there was that much fish in the codend approx 300 kit of small codling that is 3000stone and that figure came from one of the skippers own mouths.

The fish had been feeding on herring spawn and by the time they sorted the fish out they only got 40boxes of codling out of the 3000 stone a WASTE OF 2400 STONE OF SMALL CODLING the harbour was full of dead small codling it was the talk of the town so steve when you talk about charter boats doing any damage to cod stocks or anybody with rod and line get real mate.

mmm Typical example???? Dont think so Jaffa

Please forgive me but I read that slightly differently.Dont see where that is said jaffa. Looks to me like BC reported on 1 situation over 2 years ago. Nowhere does it say it happened before or again. No where does it say this is a reguler happening, The word herring spawn is mentioned which only happens for a very short period once a year. Appears BC is not trying to bend the truth just reporting a fact he witnessed with his own eyes. Sorry if that offends anyone but I dont see any truth in what is being said about this being portrayed as a typical happeing here in Whitby.

Edited by @Winter@

A 2% discard level of immature target species, ie cod discard when targeting cod, is miniscule in comparison with other fisheries.

Take the plaice box for instance, where discard figures of 80% are quoted.

andyR

My understanding is tho that this discard rate can be avoided, or at worst reduced considerably, by closing areas off to trawling at certain times of the year in certain areas where it is known that there are masses of undersized fish congregating. In the area near me, I have heard from this forum, that herring spawn time draws the small codling from miles around to feed on the herring spawn. I am uncertain of Binatones insistance on a ban on boat angling at this time, I am fairly certain as to the discard rate of undersize fish aboard a charter boat or a private angling boat for that matter, close to 0 I would estimate. By all means when the herring are spawning long line them or other methods with lower discard rates. I realise I know little about commercial fishing but something needs to be done sooner rather than later.....if every undersized fish thrown back dead had lived for just a few more years the North Sea would be teeming with fish.

I realise I am singling out Whitby here but the same can be said Im sure for every area of coastline around the UK

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

mmm Typical example???? Dont think so Jaffa

Please forgive me but I read that slightly differently.Dont see where that is said jaffa. Looks to me like BC reported on 1 situation over 2 years ago. Nowhere does it say it happened before or again. No where does it say this is a reguler happening, The word herring spawn is mentioned which only happens for a very short period once a year. Appears BC is not trying to bend the truth just reporting a fact he witnessed with his own eyes. Sorry if that offends anyone but I dont see any truth in what is being said about this being portrayed as a typical happeing here in Whitby.

Im glad you don't consider it typical. Why did BC use that example to try and say why Steve was wrong though? Is Steve expected to know what is typical in the NE?

Whats the problem with divulging an estimate of charter landings btw?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

and probably chucked back 600 boxes worth

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson